Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

towing with a k5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85burbanator, Dec 19, 2005.

1. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

i have the opportunity to get a k5 for hella cheap. my question before i buy and put work into it (needs motor but i have one) it how safe would it be to tow with. my wheeler is an 88 short box reg cab chevy truck with 35's and i use a tandom axle aluminum trailer thats about 16 feet or so long to haul it. usually i use my dads truck but hes kinda getting sick of me borrowing it. i have some 3/4 ton spring i would put on it and would some zero rates help?

2. sandracer799

sandracer799 1/2 ton status

I towed my K5 with my other K5 on an 18' utility trailer. It was a scary ride. :eek1: :eek1: The Blazer was just to short IMO. If i had to have made a quick manuveur it would have been really interesting. i towed this setup twice and decided never to do it again. I know some will agree with me and some will go the other way.

Just my .02

3. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I tow my 27ft. camper w/ my K5 and it does fine. The camper weighs b/t 5500-6000 lbs. However, I do have an equalizing hitch and sway bar.

4. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I towed a bit with my '84. In my case it did fine, but my trailer has very good handling manners (despite it's looks). I didn't have any problems with it, but I know that some trailers tend to like to fishtail easier (and all depending on how they are loaded and tongue weight and all that too). 3/4 ton rear springs will help the sag factor and weight capacity, but it's still a short wheelbase. The longer the better for a tow rig.

TowingWithK5.jpg