Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Towing with a k5...???

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by 79k20350, Apr 28, 2006.

1. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

2. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Me and a friend towed a jeep down to Kansas City from Des Moines with his K5 and it was the worst experience I have ever had. The trailer was a 20 footer (2200 pounds empty) with a 4200 pound jeep on it. Within the first mile on the highway the trailer started to fishtail and we almost lost it. We had to pull over every half mile to adjust the jeep until we got the tongue weight just right. We finally found a sweet spot and could drive 50 mph before it would loose control.

I think flat towing might be ok but I would never want to do that again.

3. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

I flat towed a '77 K10 from Randolph, Ks to Bellevue, Ne before. I wouldn't do it again. The only reason I did was because the K10 dropped a lobe on the cam 3/4 of the way to Tuttle creek down there. I couldn't go above 50 or so then the K10 would star bouncing me side to side. The focker's that owned it bitched when we had to pull over for them to get gas in there heep that I was going too slow too. I just laughed and pointed out that I was running double my normal weight and I still had over 1/2 tank of gas.

Rick