Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

towing with a short bed?

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by sled_dog, Nov 30, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

ok I know where I can get a k1500 single cab short bed. I need a daily driver and tow vehicle and am not sure how this would do. I know the springs are too low capacity but an add a leaf or two and some overloads would help wouldn't they?

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

What would You be towing? Add-a-leaves and overloads arn't worth squat if the rear axel isn't up to the job.

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

The biggest concern you should address is the fact that your tow vehicle is a SWB. You should seriously consider a hitch that is set up with an anti-sway as well as a weight distribution setup. I used to use a Reese system.

How long/how heavy of a trailer are we talking about, anyway?

4. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

To add to Canmores post, I would also check the GCWR of the truck. It will need to have at least 7000 lbs extra for a blazer/trailer combination. And I agree with the others that the SWB and half ton axles won't be good for anything other than light towing. Depending on the year, engine, and towing package options the towing capacity should be between 3000 and 7000 lbs.

Here is a good worksheet for figuring out the actual towing capacity and GVWR.

BIGJ

5. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

They key word is stopping ability of the truck. The short wheel base is not so much an issue. It will make backing a little more fun because of the rapid over steer you can have with the shorter wheel base. If you ever decide to pull a fifth wheel type trailer such as a camper, stock trailer, or cargo trailer it can get into the back of the cab if you don't have the trailer altered at the hitch. As with any vehicle if you are going to use a "bumper pull" type hitch make sure you get a good weight distribution hitch.

John

6. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Towing what? Blazer?

NO.

7. Hustler

Hustler 1/2 ton status

Towing with a SWB isn't the best thing to do, but with some mods, you can. I tow with my Jimmy and have no problems. I tow a 24' car hauler filled with atv's, I have towed a blazer on it and I tow my race car/ show car all the time since it isn't street legal. I have electric brakes and I think that is a must.

8. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

well mountainexplorer is constasntly towing, so i tedn to listen to him. He has towed whith a blazer and said that it wasnt much fun. He only uses his little crewcab or his 3/4ton suburban for towing.
    I have used my f-150 to flat tow my 78 luv to storage and even whith out the motor i knew it was back there the one time i had to stop fast. Just something to bear in mind(granted there was no tongue wieght but still something to think of)

9. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    well mountainexplorer is constasntly towing, so i tedn to listen to him. He has towed whith a blazer and said that it wasnt much fun. He only uses his little crewcab or his 3/4ton suburban for towing.
    I have used my f-150 to flat tow my 78 luv to storage and even whith out the motor i knew it was back there the one time i had to stop fast. Just something to bear in mind(granted there was no tongue wieght but still something to think of)

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to disagree that short beds and blazers are not the best for towing but flat towing is completely different.
    I flat tow my blazer with my crew cab and it still pushes it around, it's not funny.
    /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    Now I towed a big boat with my regular cab long bed and the brakes and the balanced tongue weight made it unperceptible.
    I am getting a trailer as soon as i can decide which one to get or make one myself.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I second the weight distrubtion/anti sway setup.

I tow my trailer with my race car on it- light night and day with the setup. ITs the difference between being safe, and being stupid.