Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Towing with K5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by djsblaze, Jul 29, 2004.

1. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

I need opinions. Im going out to Pagosa Springs, CO from Tulsa, OK in August. Bout 13 hours. I want to take as many toys as possible. The question has become: tow with the K5 or leave her at home. Ive got a newer 3/4 ton Suburban I can use, but I would sure like to have the K5 while Im there. I will be pulling a 22 x 6 foot enclosed trailer with a Harley and two Polaris 700 4wheelers inside, and a canoe on top. My K5 is an 89, stock 350 TBI engine with 166,000 miles (no leaking fluids, no engine issues Im aware of), brand new stage III bowtie 700r4 (1000 miles), 38 inch PJs and 4.88 gears. BTW, this is not a 700 v. TH400 debate, lets save that for every other day. Im okay with pulling it in 3rd gear with the torque converter locked up at 55-60mph. Ive got time. My question is do you think it will make it? Im betting there is a 10 to 15% chance I'll break down and be stuck on the side of the road. Gimme your odds...and thanks.

2. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

Geez, did I fart without rolling down the window or something?

3. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

If it was me, I would probably take the burby, for the simple fact that thats quite a long trailer, and the reliablity issue you stated. Plus once you get there, if you take out the blazer and tear something up, then your stuck again. Just my thoughts.

Kris

4. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

That sure is a long trailer for such a short wheelbase. The weight would also factor but I had a friend with a stock furd long bed ex-cab whose trailer got him all squirrely and it wasn't quite that big. Again with the getting stranded possibility.

5. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

Yep, getting stranded seals the deal. Didnt think about that. Just disappointing to be heading out to where the cool trails are without my cool truck. Done deal, thanks.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'd do it with an EQ hitch. I've pulled a 21 foot camper trailer all up and down the west coast as well as through the coastal mountains here. Our trailer is a fat pig when loaded... approx 5500 lbs. I never had any trouble.

What do you think your total weight will be (trailer plus stuff)?

Rene

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I see "dual 60's" in your profile so I would say go for it if you have towing experience with the K5. I doubt that trailer itself weighs much with todays materials and 1 bike and 2 ATVs arent that heavy either. I would do it.

BTW, I would like to see a pic of your K5. It sounds pretty clean. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Just finished a trip from Altus OK to Ft Walton Beach FL. Had the K5 loaded down and was towing a 19 foot boat that was loaded with gear. I had no problems with the truck and kept it between 65 & 70 mph. I agree that the Burb would be the best tow vehicle of the two but the K5 should do it.