Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Towing with my blazer

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by rev, Feb 9, 2005.

1. rev

rev Guest

Hello all. Sorry in advance for a newbie question. I have an 86 diesel (M1009) blazer, and I'd like to set it up to do some towing. Nothing too major - I figured a little trailer for odds and ends / dump runs, and a travel trailer of 25 feet or shorter. I know this means I'm looking at a hitch mounted to the frame, but I don't know much else.
    Can anyone out there help clue me in? Is this a bad idea to begin with? Do I need a transmission cooler? :confused:

Thanks!

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Transmission cooler for the big trailer but probably not nessisary for a small utility trailer.
    Class III or IV hitch and proper size balls.
    Trailer light wiring (7 pin RV plug for an RV and probably a 7 to 4 pin adapter for the small utility trailer).
    Brake controller for the 25' RV will be required as well (probably not needed for a small utility trailer).
    Load distributing and anti-sway hitch is also a good idea for the RV.

Don't attempt to haul a trailer around with out proper lights. It's just a good way to get rear ended when someone comes up fast on you around a corner.

Also what size tires do you have? Still have the stock 3.07 gears? Depending on tire size you will probably need to regear the truck for hauling a heavy 25' RV. Then again, 25' may be a little too big for the short wheelbase of a K5? I've never hauled anything with less than a longbed pickup myself to really know what it would feel like.

3. rev

rev Guest

Things to think about...

Hi KennyW,
    Thanks for the feedback. My truck has 31's with the stock 3:08 gearing (ack - regearing - I wouldn't know where to start) and a TH400 transmission (no overdrive). I was kind of thinking about a bit smaller trailer actually - maybe 18'. The truck has a trailer wiring terminal already, so at least that's taken care of. I figured that a class III hitch would be sufficient - hopefully that's the case.
    Keep the tips coming...I can sure use the help!

4. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Class III hitch and a 15-18' trailer would be fine. Working trailer brakes will be a must. Anti-Sway and load leveling hitch setup will also make it handle much better.

Regearing can be done a few different ways. Either find stock axles with the gears you want already setup and in good shape from either a wrecking yard or private party (fairly easy and cost effective) or pay to have them done at a shop if you can't do it yourself (usually more costly). You could also consider going to 3/4 ton axles at the same time as upgrading the gears since the 3/4 ton's would be very easy to find with 3.73 or 4.10 gears.

I'm very happy towing with my '79 K10 with 3/4 ton axles, 4.10 gears and 285/75R16 tires (about 33" tall and 9.5" wide). That is with a 6.2L diesel and SM465 (no OD either). I can cruise on the freeway at 60-65 mph loaded and still get 17 MPG. If I was to add an OD unit I'll probably start pulling 19-20 MPG consistenly on the freeway. I already get 22 MPG around town.

5. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

We used to haul a 28' camper with a bone stock 86 K5. 305, SM465 and 3.08's got the job done. Used load distributing hitch but no sway control. Camper had electric brakes.

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

With your diesel, stock 3.08 and 31" tires you should be fine towing an 18' trailer.
    My buddy towed his race car enclosed trailer with his blazer for years and he had 33" tires, the tranny cooler helped a lot.
    Sway control is a nice thing to have but if you are not planning on going past 60 mph and driving like a maniac, you would be OK.
    I would say try it first wih no modifications, you are pretty close to a good setup, if you feel you are lacking power then upgrade your axles, if you want I have some.
    Try it with no sway control as well and if you feel it's not to your liking add the sway control.
    I found having overload springs or air bags in the back helps as well by making the suspension stiffer less sway, and pointing your nose down for better steering control.
    I towed a few big loads with my K5 diesel but now I have a long crew cab, I don't feel I have anything behind me.