Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Towing With Shackle Flip?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by La Roca, Jul 21, 2002.

1. La Roca

La Roca Newbie

Hello All,

I have a stock '86 K5 that I use to tow my boat (5600 lb) with. I would like to add a 2-2.5" lift, but don't want to loose the nice factory ride. Is there any problem in towing such a heavy load (400 lb. t/w) with the stock springs and a shackle flip, or should I just add blocks in the rear?

Thanks!

"Like a Rock"

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I would just go with a 4" all spring lift and greaseable bushings.

You think you've got that "Nice factory ride" but if you knew how screwed up your bushings were, you'd realize that your truck with new polyurathane greasable bushings will most likely ride better even than your stock setup.

All of my factory bushings were seized. (sleeve seized to rubber which seized to the metal casing which was seized to the spring eye). I'm sure yours are the same.

Don't tow with a shackle flip. That's suicide. Blocks are better.

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Do a Search. This has been covered MANY times.
    The bottom line, with a shackle flip, is by changing the shackle like that you are effectivly reducing the operating spring rate. That's a Heavy trailer your pulling and I would say new springs might be the best for your needs.
    I about flipped my 75 with a Shackle flip and about 2500 lb worth of trailer and cargo. Part of it was the trailer designe the other part was how soft the rear suspension was. I ended up adding an extra couple leafes in the spring pack to stiffen it up. The other parts was to change the trailer to get more tounge wight and distance from hitch to axl.
    Welcome to CK5