Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Towing with shakle flip! (Who does it)

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by BowtieBlazer, Apr 22, 2002.

1. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Without a question my blazer is totally stock. I have plans this summer to go up 4" I am very interested in doing a shackle flip in the rear however after discussing this with a fellow CK5 member it seems it might be a little too woobly in the rear for towing. Should I just do new springs all around or go ahead and go with the shackle flip with a rear swaybar and disconnects?! Blocks are out of the questions I rather springs. Anyone tow and can tell me otherwise about my possible wondering blazer. By the way I pull in general a 17ft pop-up camper and a 18 ft ski boat on a 21ft trailer.

2. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

I tow a 16ft fisher marine all the time. I cruise around 70 about ten miles or so one way. Haven't had a problem. Pulled my broke ass jet ski too...
    Jim

3. BowtieBlazer

I'm looking at making 200+ mile pulls atleast once a month... During the summer almost weekly between fishing, skiing, and camping I make good use of my summer. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Can anyone else vouch on how the ORD Shackle flip works towing and cornering with a trailer etc?

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

PM Grim Reaper about towing with the shackle flip, he had a real scary experience with it. Also Stephen will probably be able to help you figure out if it is for you or not.

5. DaveCowley

DaveCowley 1/2 ton status

I have a rancho kit with no anti-sway bar in front and a 4" flip in the rear and as far as highway towing it is fine until I come to a hill then I am slow but cornering is beatiful with my setup. Usually either a flat bed with a dune buggy and a couple quads or a fairly big boat.

6. BowtieBlazer

Still waiting to hear from Grim of his experiences.

Yikes what about a hill do you slow for? I cross in general, and often two big bridges over 200 ft rise each and fairly narrow.

7. Scooter

Scooter 1/2 ton status

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=blazer4x4&amp;Number=249649&amp;Search=true&amp;Forum=All_Forums&amp;Words=towing%20shackle&amp;Match=And&amp;Searchpage=1&amp;Limit=25&amp;Old=allposts&amp;Main=249348>Here</a> is Grims story about towing with a shackle flip and flexy rear suspension.

8. After reading Grim's story I caution you to take my good experiences as just that, my experiences. I have a 69 K20 that had stock rear springs with the shackle flip. I now have more leafs in my rear spring packs but haven't towed in the present condition yet. With the shackle flip and the stock rear 3/4 ton springs I have yet to have a problem. I have pulled my 18' trailer with a little over 100 bales of hay on it a number of times. The bales are in the neighborhood of 65 to 70 lbs, so the total weight would be about 6500 lbs. I have also hauled a couple pallets of sod grass on the trailer, but I have no idea of the weight of that load.

I have not towed any other types of loads. My trailer has 3 axles which probably aids in my weight distrubution.

Your taking the right approach - get lots of opinions to see if this is the way for you to go. On a side note, I still have stock brakes on my K20 and its all drums. I have to really plan in advance for stopping when I am towing and that can be a little scary at times. If you are really going to be towing a lot, make sure you have sufficient braking ability given the extra tire mass and the trailer weight to contend with.

9. BowtieBlazer

Thanks for the post Scooter and the story yukon. Man, especially after reading Grim's story I think I will go ahead and sacrifice flex for stiffness by just going springs all the way around. Although Grim's case seems to be the most extreme the mechanics behind the way the rear springs work I fear a similar happening.
    I almost lost my trailer driving at stock height when an 18wheeler locked em' up right in front of me towing the 17ft trailer. 70 - 0 without electronic brakes ain't too fun. The state trooper in a truck (that happened to be between me and the 18 wheeler) ,who was towing nothing, had to hit the median to avoid collision. My dad happened to be the vehicle behind me and said he thought I was gonna loose it as well. The short wheelbase of a blazer when towing a trailer thats longer then the blazer leaves little room for error.

Anyone use that extra small bar in addition to the trailer hitch that locks down a few inches away on the bumper or hitch and helps to prevent trailer sway?

10. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

My dad used to use the friction type anit-sway bars on my Jimmy when he hauled his 16' camping trailer (old &amp; heavy). It worked really well for him. It attached to the trailer neck with a little ball, and to a little ball mounted on a weld on bracket on the receiver hitch. It was the only thing that kept that 16' trailer from swaying like a bastard going down the highway.

11. BowtieBlazer

Thats exactly what I was talking about! Great to hear!

12. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Maybe for towing with any flexable setup you should add airbag overloads. Then when towing you stiffen up the rear by adding air to the bags and run the bags empty when wheelin'

13. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

Don't forget the load distributing hitch.

14. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

YES!! Those weight distribution hitch set ups make ALL the difference in the world! I'll NEVER tow without one again!!

15. ccj8008

ccj8008 1/2 ton status

Why shoud it be more wobbly? The only real change is a higher center of gravity, something you get with any lift. The shackle is a moment arm. You exert the same moment (force x distance) whether the shackle sticks up or down. The distance (length of shackle) is constant. The force increases due to the higher center of gravity. Now if you use longer shackles...

16. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Very nicely put ccj8008! It's the multitude of other things that happen to the truck that cause problems towing. There's a reason a 1-ton truck comes with really stiff springs and shock and "D" or "E" load range tires, stiff is good when carrying a lot of stuff. And having an dually helps too, nothing like having twice the contact patch of stiff tire, and extra width in most cases too.
    I've towed trailers that were unsafe behind HD longbed 3/4T trucks but behind a 1-ton dually were very well behaved. THERE'S A LOT TO TOWING WITH A LIFTED VEHICLE, look for all the details.