Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Towing with tow bar?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Thumper, May 12, 2001.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

How many of you guys tow your K5s with a tow bar? Is it recommended? Is it easier or harder on the vehicles both tower and towee? Any opinions?
    And also, what is the procedure for flat towing... you leave your steering wheel unlocked so the front tires track and turn with the corners and road right? Does it cause any bad wear on the tires or driveline?
    Does anyone use a dolly for the front wheels? Is that as good or better?

Thanks for the opinions, and answers.
    Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>

2. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Sorry, I don't tow my K5. But we do tow my dads J**p alot. You have to leave the steering wheel unlocked. Also what we do is remove the rear drive line. Less wear and tear on the t-case and tranny. We leave it out of 4 wheel drive so the front is not turning anyway.

3. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't reccomend it. I flat towed mine once, when it was still stock, behind a Suburban. A very sketchy experience. I've also flat towed a CJ5 behind the same Sub, with much better results. The Blazer is just too big.

I recently bought a trailer to tow the Blazer on, and would highty reccomend this approach.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

4. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Thats it?? no other opinions? Cmon guys...

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'm towing an 82 from Round Rock Texas to Vancouver BC next weekend...I'll let you know what I think when i get back.

It will have no motor tranny or t-case so I think it'll tow just fine.

Rene

[​IMG]<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jules.coloradok5.com>http://jules.coloradok5.com</A>

6. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

My bud towed his 72 blazer from his house to mine, and it's a two hour trip, mostly highway. He pulled it with a toyota tundra, and said it was no big deal. We also trailered the same 72 blazer on a tandem axle car hauler. Pulling the trailer was a horrible experience. We pulled it with a 3/4 ton dodge truck and it was all over the road and swayed like crazy. Stopping was scary, even with trailer brakes. I plan on flat towing mine. It is a lot easier than pulling a trailer.

A flatbed trailer (5th wheel) would be the best setup in the long run, but the trailer itself would be pretty expensive and a vehicle big enough to pull it wouldn't be cheap either. I would love to have a 1 ton chevy for a tow vehicle, and a 20 foot flatbed but right now I can't afford the extra vehicle or the trailer. That's why I'm going with the towbar.

BIGJ

7. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

I towed mine once on a dolly for the front tires. The hardest part was finding a dolly wide enough for the thing. It worked fine.

That's because I'm the devil.

8. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I've towed on a trailer and with a dolly. The trailer is the best way if you have one and the truck you're using to tow can handle the blazer weight and the trailer. It would need to be at least a 3/4 ton. A dolly would be the next best thing. If you do use a tow bar, take the drive shaft(s) out.

[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html>http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html</A>

9. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Ya, thats what I thought. My main prob is that when we went for the new truck, we cheaped out and got a 1/2 ton (business vehicle for the wifes restaurant), that was all we figured we would need. Now that I am looking into the ratings and stuff, I weighed my Jimmy, looked into some flat deck trailers, Ive basically found out that the Dodge may not be able to pull a trailer with the Jimmy on it for very far. Now also, my wife has fallen in love with 'her' truck, so trading it up to a 3/4 ton or more is kinda out of the question.[​IMG]
    My options for getting my rig to some farther away wheeling trails are dwindling so the only3 left are: drive it (not likely), tow it with a dolly (possible if its preferable to flat), or flat tow it (as a last resort).
    If I can get some responses that will show which (flat or dolly) is easier on both vehicles, I can look into making a towbar, or picking up a dolly.
    Thanks for the input so far.
    Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]

10. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I have a 98 Dodge Ram 1500 360 SWB Quad Cab with towing package and a dual axle steel trailer made for towing a full size car/truck. I drove it from West Palm Beach FL to Phoenix AZ in 3 days with the bed fully loaded, a 97 Bonneville on the trailer, the Bonne full of stuff, and stuff strapped on the trailer. I got pulled over by a state trooper doing almost 90 on a long up hill stretch! We had absolutely no problem. I have also towed my K30 on it 3 times now (not that far, just from Messa to N. Phoenix and N. Phoenix to Glendale) which also had no problems. Just make sure you have trailer brakes adjusted and get it balanced right with enough weight on the hitch and you will be fine. My Ram could hold the speed limit on most reasonable hills and the only thing I had to do was keep the OD disengaged to keep it from hunting up and down continuously.

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

11. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Rene! Man, that is a long haul. Will you be passing through Phoenix? Is this to bring tRusty2 home?

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I think Arizona is one of the few states I won't be driving through[​IMG]...I'm going straight North from Austin til I hit Salina Kansas, then making a left. From there I'll be driving through Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, Idaho, Oregon and lastly Washinton.

All this for a truck...I must be sick[​IMG]. tRusty v2.0 coming soon![​IMG]

Rene

[​IMG]<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jules.coloradok5.com>http://jules.coloradok5.com</A>

13. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

14. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

TTT why?

Flat towing a blazer sucks. Cause whatever you're pulling it with is going to be nearly the same weight. You need to have a heavier pull vehicle and lighter pulled vehicle.

I towed my blazer stock with an F150 on a towbar. 350 miles over relatively flat ground from Lubbock to Sherman. Pushed me all over the road, especially after the clouds opened up and dumped water on me. It wasn't a power issue, it was a weight diffrentation issue. I think it'd have pushed a 3/4 ton just as much.

Bryan

15. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

If you're going to pull it on a car trailer then get the proper weight distributing hitch setup. One with the spring bars like for a travel trailer. That will move more of the weight to the front axle on the tow vechicle. That half ton should be fine with the right setup. Shoot they used to tow big travel trailers with caddys and full size mercs and such.

16. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

With all these issues, makes me wonder if you'd be better off paying one of those auto transport companys to tow it up for ya. Hassle vers price.

17. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

LOL. Just get an adequate truck for your tow rig/daily...a good trailer...and you're set. I wouldn't want to have to pay 55 to 80 cents a mile to get my K5 to events../forums/images/icons/tongue.gif