Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Towing with Uhaul trailer?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Citizen Rider, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

Im needing to move my blazer about 100 miles to my new residence. I dont beleive the blazer is up for the trip so im looking into having it towed there. I had a wrecker take it to my current location but damn that cost me an arm and a leg.

Im looking at Uhaul trailers. They say the factory blazer is too heavy for the full length trailers(not using a tow dolly).

I will put stock size rollers on it so its not so wide.

Has anyone towed more than they where supposed to with Uhaul trailers?

Im in quick need of help!

2. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Here's a suggestion. Go Greyhound. Drive it there and bus back. Will probably be cheaper than the trailer rental.

Hell, no friends to help with the move? Heck, if I still lived in Texas I'd come up & help out for a Fruitcake!:bow:

3. nemesis_pyros

nemesis_pyros 1/2 ton status

lol, yup I towed a 67 plymouth Fury III loaded with 2 spare tranny's and a bunch of other parts on one of those uhaul car haulers:eek1: . Towed fine behind my jimmy on 35's. Yes it was very heavy so take it easy but we did tow it over 200 miles. Also towed a gutted blazer on one of those trailers. It fit fine with 31's on it. I'll see if i can find pics later. Oh, depending on the vehicle you're towing with you may have to tell them the car your towing is something else, I like to use a 90's 4 door cav.:D

4. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

Towed my 74 stepside from Florida to kansas with spare slickes and the bed filled with all my garage equipment with no problem. I would go for it.

5. 2BLAZERS

2BLAZERS 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Save yourself the trouble and go to your local United Rental, Hertz Equipment, Star Rentals, etc.. any place that rents tractors and small backhoes. They will have lots of good trailers up to the task. I rented a 20' deckover with dovetail and folddown ramps rated for 12K. It hauled a K5 cross state with no problem. They'll also usually let you take all the chains and tiedown needed for nothing. I picked up Friday night dropped off Sunday as soon as they opened and it only cost me $60 at United Rentals in Salem, OR in June.

This also helped me decide what type of trailer I want to get someday.

6. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

i would tow him home but i dont the acura would like it:wink1:

justin i'm looking for a trailer for you to use.....sorry i cant help you out.

7. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

I just did this a few months ago to move to Tulsa from Houston. Definately have to have stockers on for it to fit. you can get away with them just on the front if your tires are 36" or smaller. They won't rent it if you tell them it's a Blazer, tell them it's a SWB 2wd instead. I pulled it behind a 26' moving truck doing 75(damn governor) the whole way with not the slightest problem. Go for it!!

8. gibby2268

gibby2268 1/2 ton status

I used a U-Haul trailer a few months ago to pick up the 79 I bought, had to go about 450 miles to get it. I borrowed a friends Dodge 3500 to haul it, and rented the trailer. Told em I was hauling a Toyota Camry:D . Just make sure you get the full sized trailer, its all grey, not the smaller orange trailer. They say they are only rated at like 4000 lbs, but they are way overly conservative. My 79 is rated at like 6700 lbs, add a couple hundred extra lbs for rust:eek1: , and an extra engine and a bunch of extra parts. Zero problems pulling it, some of it over some very rough roads.

9. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I towed a CUCV about 75 miles with one. The tires rubbed a little going on and off, but with stock tires it will fit. The D60 hubs also rubbed a little on the fenders, but it fit. Tell them you are hauling an S-10 Blazer. Just don't get in a hurry and it is no problem at all -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

I am back in TX and if my K5 was running I would be able to get you. Unfortunately, my dad is the most anal person in the world and wont let anyone borrow his trailer.

11. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Flat tow it with a tow bar

12. sunnyc123abc

sunnyc123abc 1/2 ton status

13. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

You moving back to plano?

14. cabledawg

cabledawg Secret Squirrel Premium Member

Heck, I actually witnessed a packed, lifted Burb on a UHaul. Funny cuz the front tires were on the front rail and the back tires were sittin partway off the trailer. Followed them through most of Nebraska. Didnt seem to affect anything.

15. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

About $300 to buy one, then its illegal without assist brakes! I cant pay that kind of money. The whole reason behind my move back home is to get a job that pays weekly.

My blazer i do not trust to run that long right now. It still needs alot of looking over and work to get it back to top condition:doah: Which is why i am towing it.

Tow rig will be a 03 3/4ton Dodge cummins turbo diesel:D

Im just looking for the cheapest(but also safe) way of getting it back with time(and money) to get it running good again.

I do plan on going by nations rent and seeing what they got, but im not holding my breath at this time.

Thanks for the help guys, Hopefully ill get it done this week.

16. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Like others said, go to United Rentals. I hauled a '79 F150 4x4 and PULLED it with my K5.:D

Took a while to get the manager at United Rentals to let me take the trailer, I had to do some talking to convince him my K5 was a 3/4ton.:haha:

17. muddermilitia

muddermilitia ThatTrazerGuy GMOTM Winner

When Do decide on what trailer to get make sure you check it over thoroughly. We rented one to haul my k-5 to the trail and one of the tires had a leak. We had to stop about six times there/back to add air to the tire.

18. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

citizen rider do it. i did it with my 76' k5 and I towed it from marble falls to houston. no problems at all. this was a fullsize k5 with top no doors but full interior and 36"
    they under rate the trailers so they dont get so worn out.
    when you go and they ask just say its an s10 with really wide tires so thats why your measuring width.
    worked for me and was cheap