Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1. #3fanhardcore

#3fanhardcore Newbie

Has anyone ever towed a K-5 with one of those U-HAUL two wheel dollies? And if so,did it tow ok?

2. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

I just towed a toyota camry with one yesterday and i would say a K5 would not fit on one, too wide. You might have to try the full trailor.

Theres nothing like fiddling with my Jimmy! 1984 GMC Jimmy 379 diesel, 700R4, 3.73s, 31 x10.50 x 15

3. Oblin Goblin

Oblin Goblin 1/2 ton status

I don't know about the Uhaul tow dollies but make sure you measure it. A stock blazer has a track width of about 80" in front. I tried to rent one from Nations Rent but they said it was too narrow. Rented a full sized trailer instead and even THAT turned out to be too small. I had to take the running boards off for it to fit and I cut a tire getting it back off the trailer. Fortunatly the tires were due for replacement anyway.
    Good luck

4. 89Jimmy

89Jimmy 1/2 ton status

We towed an '85 K5 from northern Virginia to northern N.Y. The only way that we could fit it on the dolly was to remove the front calipers and install a set of 2.35 x 15 tires on Isuzu Trooper rims. Backset makes it way narrower than chevy wheels.
    we had a '99 Tahoe tow vehicle and I'm glad of it. The Blazer pushed through corners and plain pulled hard. Fortunately we hit no rain or other low traction situations on the way home. Not a bad trip, but the potential for problems was there. The tow dolly was rented from National.
    John

So MUCH to do, So LITTLE cash.

5. elkboy

elkboy 1/2 ton status

Most of those tow dollies are not rated for the weight of a full size, only a small car >2500LBS. If you bend up a rental dollie, they will zing you for the repairs. A tow bar or trailer would be a better choice. I've done quite a bit of hauling with a tow bar and they work fairley well.

<font color=red> Elkboy </font color=red> 82 K5 fuel injected H.O.305, TH350/205, 14bolt/10bolt and 39.5 TSL's.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I don't mind the tow-bar method, but in a lot of states if the vehicle being towed exceeds 3000 lbs it needs some sort of brakes. So unless the K5 is pretty stripped a tow bar is out if somebody checks ya. Also with a tow-bar set-up the towed vehicle will tend to push your rear end out through corners...the heavier it is the worse it gets.

I'd check into a heavier dolly, one with brakes...

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

7. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

I just pulled my 71 this last weekend on one of the auto transports. Towed great, the 1st gen's only weigh in at about 3,500 and the trailer max is like 3800 so I was ok there, but here again width is a problem, many places probably won't rent one to you if you tell them your going to haul a blazer on it. Also there are 2 different trailers one has 15" rims w/ 6 lug and the other version has 14" rims w/ 5 lug. You can't usually spec this but you should go to your local uhaul place and measure. Also the fender that folds down, note the bolt heads that stick out, they WILL bite the side of your tire. not good. So measure first, see if you can get some offset rims or really skinny tires on spares so you can squeeze on the trailer. Also mine has 31" tires on it and the straps just BARELY bite enough to ratchet down, in fact one side I had to wedge some stuff in the ratchet to get it to bite the strap, all this after airing way down. I didn't check the dolly, was concerned with dragging the truck instead of flat or trailered, Uhaul is fazing out their tow bars and I couldn't find anyone else who had them around so if you choose that route then you'll have to either borrow or build. hope this helps,

Like em big and topless

8. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

I whish my 1st gen was that light. I tow mine every were had a tow bar made it about 50 inches long uses 2 5/16 ball. I also run a very simple braking system that uses the blazers brake's when being towed. It has tried to push the burban around if the burban is empty but with the normal load of parts and tows its fine.