Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

towing

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84storm, May 29, 2000.

1. 84storm

84storm Newbie

I plan on using my blazer for towing a trailer, it is a 1984 k5 with a 305 in it, I have a hicth on it, I was wondering what things I should do to make it handle better when towing.

2. J.R.

J.R. Guest

i use my 85k5 for towing my pro street nova around all summer.what i did was to have a custom set of springs made for the rear of my blazer,the most heavy duty they could make.i use a class 4 hitch and the weight of the trailer tounge is about 425lbs.,my blazer doesnt sink more than half an inch,the springs and a good pair of shocks will make all the diffrence when towing.the rear springs cost me about $375 installed.oh,and the most important thing to remember when towing, TAKE YOUR TIME!!!!!

BIGBLOCK MAN

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Couple of added ideas -

Think you have the 700R4 auto overdrive trans.........do NOT drive while towing in overdrive unless it is a "no load" situation (downhill with the wind...lol).

Get a tranny cooler mounted up..........seems the consensus on this board is cooler into the radiator (standard factory hookup) then to the auxiliary cooler, then back to the trans.

Make sure your wiring is correct........make sure you use the correct safety chains and cross them under the tongue to catch the tongue in case of disaster.

Good advice above........take your time. You will NOT stop as soon as you normally would, the heavier the trailer you are towing the longer it will take.

Add an auxiliary "trailer brake" system if your trailer has electric brakes.

Hope this helps...........

'79 - 406 w/IROC TPI - K5#5 - a <font color=orange>sickness[​IMG] <font color=blue>you never get enough of!! [​IMG]

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I friend uses his K5 for towing also, and he added a rear sway bar; it really helped out a lot.

<font color=green>Money</font color=green>--&gt;Blazer

5. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

Dont forget the tire pressure. Uneaven tirepressure will make the truck-trailer a handfull.
    [​IMG]

<font color=blue>Espen88k5</font color=blue>