Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TOWING ??????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BIG AL, Jun 2, 2000.

1. BIG AL

BIG AL Registered Member

I WANT TO TOW MY BLAZER W/AUTO TRANNY FROM TEX. TO COLO. USING A TOW BAR. AM I GOING TO MESS ANYTHING UP IN THE PROCESS?

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I would remove the rear drive shaft.
    Don't know if it will "mess" any thing up but I wouldn't whant the drive shft spinning the tranny even if it's in nutural. Unnesessary were and tear.
    Good luck on your trip

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I second that, I would probably even take the front shaft out also to be on the safe side! And also My blazer broke down once and I had to have it towed. The only thing the tow truck guy did(which was a good friend) was put the t-case in neutral.(he pulled it from the front)

Hope this helps!

Mike
    82 GMC Jimmy "Emmett" "Built for function, not for beauty!"
    IN TOO DEEP Off-Road Club

4. J.R.

J.R. Guest

removing the drive shaft is a very good thing to do,but rember to plug the tailhousing on your tranny so your not leaking tranny fluid as you go down the road.

BIGBLOCK MAN

5. dumbfounded

dumbfounded 1/2 ton status

I think putting the transfer case in neutral would be sufficient. But it can't hurt to take the drive shaft off. The reason behind not doing this with auto's (except saturns) is when you are towing the transmission will heat up and if the torque converter isn't spinning no fluid will go to the radiator to cool it simply b/c it wasn't designed. The transfer case is like a manual transmission not that much to generate heat and it will cool itself. And in neutral not much will be turning. But another reason to drop the shaft is you would have to disconnect the speedo if you didn't drop the shaft b/c you'd be adding miles...

Wasn't me.............

6. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

My manual says for distances over 50 miles to remove both the front and rear drive axles; if under 50 miles then transfer case in 2H and transmission in neutral and max speed of 35mph

Mud is just thick water, or is it that water is just thin mud?