Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

towing

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by caboswart, Dec 21, 2001.

1. caboswart

caboswart Newbie

will my 83 6.2 blazer pull a 22 ft. trailer weighing 3,700. lbs wiyh a g.v.w.r. of 5,500.00 lbs? i have the 700r trans.
    thank you

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Yup......you shouldn't have too much trouble. Just make sure you NEVER tow in OD, and install a stacked plate auxilliary tranny cooler. I also rocommend you use a weight-distribution system as a K5's short wheelbase can cause some sway/handling issues if left unchecked. Also make sure you use a quality brake controller like the Tekonsha Voyager.....

6.2s are good tough towing motors, but you'll find that in hilly or mountainous areas you may have to manually downshift to 2 to keep in the power band on long hills(6.2s don't have the power to keep you at 55 on long uphill pulls).

One thing you never mentioned was your gears and tire size. I wouldn't tow with anything less than 3.42s, and if you have 31 or taller tires you should have 3.73s.

One last hint: Fill out your profile so we know who you are and where you are located.......One of us could be just around the corner for all you know!!!![​IMG]

Feel free to float me any more questions you may have. I tow a 3000lb 21ft travel trailer through the Canadian Rocky Mountains every summer so I'm pretty well aquainted with how a 6.2 performs with a load on.

<font color=blue> NEVER FORGET, NEVER FORGIVE, NEVER SURRENDER<font color=blue>

3. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Heck yes. I have a 6.2 with the 700r4 and towed a full size trailer with 2 Heaps on it. Had to check my mirror to make sure it was still there. I have a 3.08 ratio and stock 1/2 ton gear.

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    Roads? Where we're going, we don't need any roads!
    If it wasn't for bad luck I would have no luck at all!!

4. Can Can

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

. Had to check my mirror to make sure it was still there. I have a 3.08 ratio and stock 1/2 ton gear.

<hr></blockquote>

You must have a one of a kind 6.2, either that or you are exaggerating. Or maybe you were going downhill the entire trip[​IMG]........

I'll guarantee that around these parts you wouldn't have got very far(at any decent speed, at least) with 3.08s, either.....

5. OFFRDK5

Nope...not downhill. It was mostly flat. I was rather impressed by it myself. The person following me asked me later told me how fast I was going....73 in a 55. I got a big tranny cooler and keep the oil changed. Now its sitting in the air waiting for my 3/4 ton axles.

SK-15

6. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

How big was the trailer you used Nick. What kind of mileage.

82 K5, 6.2L Diesel, sm465, np205, 14 bolt welded, 8 lug 10 bolt lock right, 410 gears, 35" Mud Kings
    SPEAK SOFTLY AND DRIVE A BIG TRUCK

7. OFFRDK5

Not sure on the dimensions of the trailer, but put a Heap Commando? and a Heap Wrangler on it, it wasn't very small. Yes, the Blazer was pointing to the sky. Not sure on the milaeage, but its in the mid to high 20's....just depends on how far the skinny pedal is pointing toward the ground and if there is something bigger than my Blazer to draft!!!

SK-15

8. BlueBlazer

So you towed over 10000 lbs at over highway speeds plus you got over 20 mpg with a junkyard 6.2. Whats the name of that place, I need to go pick up one of their motors.

82 K5, 6.2L Diesel, sm465, np205, 14 bolt welded, 8 lug 10 bolt lock right, 410 gears, 35" Mud Kings

9. OFFRDK5

No, this wasn't a junkyard motor. It was the one that came with the Blazer. FYI...it wasn't getting that kinda mileage while towing, but I still think it was pretty good compared to a gasser towing that kinda load. Why must you be such a smarta$$? You must not have alot of faith in your Diesel, poser.

SK-15

10. BlueBlazer

No I dont, thats why Im getting rid of it.

11. Can Can

In defense of BlueBlazer(although it seems to me there may be some previous issues between you two), I have to admit that your story sounds a little fishy to me.

1. 73 MPH towing 10,000 lbs? I'll guarantee you didn't come even close to 20 MPG. I tow 3000 lbs at 55MPH(maximum for safety reasons) and I'm lucky to get 20MPG. In fact, a new Powerstroke is LUCKY to get 16-18 towing 10,000 lbs.

2. You towed 10,000 with your K5? I'm sorry, but I just can't believe it. If you DID do it, it was probably the most dangerous AND stupid thing you ever did.......ESPECIALLY AT 73 MPH. And to brag about speeding with a load like that????? C'mon........[​IMG]

3. How did you get up to speed with 3.08s? Good cooler or not, you put a lot of stress on your 700r4 with 5000lbs, let alone 10,000 running 3.08s with that kind of load.

4. What kind of weight distribution system were you running? With a 4500lb trailer, I have to be on the 6th or 7th link to keep the front end down. Last I checked they don't make a system with 12 links.....

And before you tell me that I don't have faith in MY diesel or that I'm a Poser, keep in mind who was here to answer your questions when you first bought it and were green as grass........

12. BlueBlazer

Couldnt have said it better myself Paul.

13. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

How many 6.2s do you have in your Blazer?

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

14. OFFRDK5

1. I said nothing about 10,000 lbs. BlueBlazer said that they were 10,000 lbs. No, I wouldn't expect to get 20 mpg with 10,000 behind me, but I did get better mileage than a gasser.

2. Again...I said nothing about 10,000 lbs. Who said these things had engines and drivetrains?
    No...I am not bragging about that speed....thats what the person following me told me, my speedo don't work.

3. Took a while...drafted a big rig.

4. No system.

No, you are not a poser and I thank you for the help that you have given me. BlueBlazer on the other hand is a poser. I bother you all with that crap again.....

SK-15

15. BlueBlazer

Say what you will, I think the guys we go wheeling with would differ with your opinion. Im done with this topic, lets move on to talking about trucks.

16. Can Can

So here's what I have to say:

1. OK, so instead of 10,000 lbs we're talking like what, 7000lbs? It was still stupid to do.......BTW, when you "bragged" about towing two other vehicles behind your truck, you should have mentioned that they were just shells. It was NOT obvious from the tone of your post.

2. Are you telling me that you don't know the difference between 55 and 75? If that's true then you shouldn't be driving until you take a driver's education class. C'mon, I was born at night but it wasn't LAST night.......[​IMG]

3. Drafting a semi while towing??? STUPID and EXTREMEMLY DANGEROUS!!!!!!

4. You towed a 6000lb+ load with NO weight distribution setup? See the end of #3.......

The reason I'm so choked is because the guy who started this thread is OBVIOUSLY NEW AT TOWING WITH A BLAZER. I thought I answered his question pretty well and then you come along with this big, testosterone post, like "yeah, a 6.2 can tow anything!!!!"

Now wouldn't you feel like a moron if the guy read your answer and thought "Wow, my new K5 can tow the equivalent of two trucks!!!" and then actually tried it????!!!!! The whole point of the message forums is to educate others, not to brag and give misleading info. You should know better- the only reason you(and lots of others, myself included) are so "informed" about your Blazer is because this group does their best to give you the right information.

Next time use your head before you answer. You could have cost the newbie his life, as well as those on the road around him. That pisses me off, because although the chances are slim to none, it could have been MY FAMILY beside him when he lost control.....

17. OFFRDK5

1. Not sure on the weight, your guess is as good as mine. No I didn't mention they were shells, someone else assumed that they were loaded to the hilt.

2. No...I don't....I failed drivers ed, flunked the blue test twice and failed the actual driving test twice too!! Lest we get others to post how good drivers they are? Oh...also wrecked the drivers ed car. At that point I knew I was going to be an offroader and breaking things. Also did you ever notice that you will go the same speed as traffic is going?

3. No...not stupid. Balls.

4. None that I know of. I didn't hook it up. I just drove it.

"yeah, a 6.2 can tow anything!!!!"

Well I haven't found something it won't tow.

I ain't bragging. I bet ya in some of these off road situations some rigs will tow alot. Why are straps rated to 30,000?

Nuf said.

SK-15

18. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Paul - I wouldn't sweat this too much. I have heard that he has lots of extravagant stories to tell...(no offense Nick). I agree with your statements so far - there is no <font color=red>(safe)</font color=red> way he pulled that much weight - that and he had 1/2 ton axles then too!

Let him be. He doesn't know any better. Just state that he is crazy, doesn't know what he is talking about, and tell the newbies that they should NEVER do the same. And I think you have done a pretty good job of that so far! [​IMG]

Nick, I agree with Paul. Don't tell stories of the most crazy towing experience you have ever had to a guy who is asking his very first question on CK5 ever... we are trying to maintain a good rep right? We aren't all crazy as you... balls or not. Ever wonder if common sense came before "balls"?

<font color=red>GOT MUD???</font color=red>
    My license plate reads:<font color=blue> 8 YR SUV</font color=blue>
    454/TH400/NP205 - 14BFF/D60/w/ 4.10s - 36" TSLs

19. OFFRDK5

Yep, I got some stories to tell. I didn't say that anything I did was safe. Safe ain't no fun. Live yer life in a box and order yer groceries through the Net.
    Yep 1/2 ton axles....wondering if this towing experience had anything to do with my current broken status. But not fer long......

Crazy....yes.....VERY crazy.....

I wouldn't suggest ANYONE do anything that I do. Might end up on a slab in de morgue.

Common sense....hrm...WHAT THAT? I own a vehicle that I put so much time and money in I could never sell it for what its really worth in $$$. But in memories......

SK-15

20. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

Man, you got cought. You told a fib. they cought it. if you were smart then you would have let it be, but your didnt. Thus implying that you are not very bright. "I failed drivers ed, flunked the blue test twice and failed the actual driving test twice too!!..... also wrecked the drivers ed car." This too sounds like bragging and at the same time makes you sound even dumber. Know when you dont know. At least people will not know how dumb you are.

DUKE
    Why go around when you can go over?
    <a target="_blank" href=http://bluechevyk5.8k.com/>http://bluechevyk5.8k.com/</a>
    85 K5 <font color=blue>Big Blue</font color=blue>