Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Towing

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Scott73, May 22, 2002.

1. Scott73

Scott73 Registered Member

I'm looking to buy an 85 K5 4X4 Blazer. Its about 6 hours away, but i'm going to get a great buy on it because it needs a transmission rebuild. I was wondering if there is any problems with towing it with a tow bar? Is there anything I need to take into consideration?
    Thanks for any input.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The weight...plus it will have no brakes so it will be illegal to tow in most states. A trailer of sorts would be better.

Rene

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Get a flat trailer and do it the safe way.

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

The rule of thumb flat towing is that the vehicle doing the pulling should weigh 1.5 times the vehicle being pulled. Would work fine with a 1/2 ton pickup and a toyota or jeep, but 1/2 ton and 1/2 ton don't mix too well. I towed my stock blazer on a tow bar 350 miles once with a '96 F150. Scary scary trip plus it bent the front frame horns on the K5 when it decided to push me through a turn in the rain. Do it right, get a trailer and load it properly. Or if you have a 3500 series dually or something.

What is the tow rig to be used?

5. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

How come I see so many guys flat towing Jeeps with other Jeeps... Cherokees, etc. Also, I have seen lots of S-10, and Rangers towing small cars that cant weigh that much less than the tow vehicle. I dunno, there are lots of people that say its fine. And, if you have a 1/2 ton pickup, wouldnt it be better to flat tow a Blazer by itself than the Blazer on a trailer? You add a 1500 lb trailer, and your tow weight increases by 1500 lbs.
    Hey, I was thinkin... I have rear discs... what if you could put a T into the line to the rear brakes that you could activate from the tow vehicle... it wouldnt be that hard... hmmm.

Mike

6. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Can't speak for all them. I imagine when in rains or snows, they will find out in time. Here's a few links to stimulate yall's reading...

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46436&highlight=flat+and+towing

Hell try it and see. That's what I did, and then I decided to tow on a trailer.

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

And, if you have a 1/2 ton pickup, wouldnt it be better to flat tow a Blazer by itself than the Blazer on a trailer? You add a 1500 lb trailer, and your tow weight increases by 1500 lbs

<hr></blockquote>

The big difference is the brakes on the trailer will get you stopped much faster/safer without the towed vehicle trying to push you sideways in the corners...

I flat towed two K-5's last year, 2500 miles the first time and 1500 miles the second time. I had no real troubles but both were missing most of the drivetrain. The 74 I towed home from San Diego was basically a rolling shell. Unless you have a 1 ton tow rig I wouldn't try flat towing a functional (read heavy) K5.

Rene

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I would NOT tap into your braking system. That's asking for trouble.

9. 91K5

91K5 1/2 ton status

I towed my old K5 behind my dad's 1/2 ton Suburban with a tow bar and had no problems. All we did was pulled the driveshaft from the Blazer and turned the ignition switch forward so that the steering column would be unlocked, and it towed just fine.