Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Towing

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Todd 91, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Todd 91

Todd 91 Registered Member

I have an 85 pickup and had a 91 Suburban, but I'm wondering about the towing capability of a Blazer? I need to dump the truck due to to many bodies and not enough seating. I've heard good and bad about towing with a Blazer so I figured I'd come to the masters and get some input. I'm looking at a popup camper or maybe a small hard side trailer.

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I tow with my K5 a lot with no problems. I have an 18 foot inboard fishing boat, And a trailer that I haul wood in. I have also towed a few travel trailers(22').
    Blazers are not good for towing heavy stuff but if you keep the trailer under 5000 lbs and use an equalizing hitch and trailer brakes. They do Ok

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I'd love to reply to your post, but I'm 1/2 cut and this is about the 10th time in as many weeks that someone has posted the same question.

Try doing a search: there's a whack of info about towing with K5s. Thunder touched on the main points, BTW.

4. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Try doing a search:

[/ QUOTE ]

Can I get an AMEN! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

John

5. Todd 91

Tried doing a search here and the whole board using the word "towing" and didn't find any other questions. Went back 3 weeks. Any other great hints?

6. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

AMEN, bro'

7. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

Fill out your profile. The details helps everyone to see what you're driving and hows it built. Towing with a K5 can be anything from great to nots so great, depending on how it's setup. At minimum, as already said, a good quality weight distributing hitch, proper gearing, trans cooler, and PLEASE don't ask us if it's OK to tow with a 700R4 in Overdrive /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Think we flamed enough the last time that was asked .

8. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Here' a hint, Go back further (like 6 months), and try "tow" also. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

There's no need to get "smart". I apologize for coming off that way, but it just seems lately that many questions can be answered with a simple search of the boards. We are more than happy to help, but sometimes get frustrated when a topic has been covered extensively.

But a K5 is fine for towing, provided you use the proper equipment and exercise good judgement. If it looks unsafe or feels iffy, dont do it.

John

9. Can Can

Here's a "great" hint, Todd:

Don't get lippy when you don't get the answer you're hoping for. Guys with bad attitudes don't last long here......

Try harder with the search option. I have personally addressed the towing issue at least 50 times in the last year or two. There are other guys that have done the same. It sounds to me like you're not willing to do any background work to find the info you need. Do your homework and THEN ask for clarification if you don't understand.

Newbies.....SHEESH!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

10. Chevit

Chevit 1/2 ton status

I tow a 23' RV with my 84 K5 that weighs around 5000 lbs. I use all the required equipment, load levelers, sway bars and electric brakes, even a 700R /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. That is about as long as I would go. It does alright but no comparison to towing a RV with a Full size ex-cab P/U.

11. Todd 91

Oh for crying out loud! Am I supposed to come on here and humbly ask your approval about posts? I asked a question and obviously didn't do a search back far enough to find my answer. I got some reply about getting smart and the attitude sucked on it. Then I get your words of wisdom here trying to play father (or mother). Don't tell me not be lippy oh great Canmore. I don't think I replied any worse than the reply I got. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

12. Todd 91

83, I accept your apology and I hope that you can take one from me. I didn't check back far enough. I thought you had said in the last few weeks there were some towing questions. My bad.

13. Can Can

OH MY!!!! Who's scolding who, brother? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

First of all, talking to me like that will get you nowhere. If you want a flame war you picked the right guy- ask anybody here. If you feel like carrying on like this go right ahead- you'll leave with your tail between your legs.

Secondly, if you had bothered to read the post titled PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING(click on this link and you will be redirected to it)and followed it's advice, you would have realized that, whether you like it or not, there is something called "site etiquette" here at CK5. You obviously don't understand the concept.....

And in regards to your "OH Great Canmore" comment- I like to consider myself one of the more knowledgeable CK5ers when it comes to towing. I also enjoy sharing any related info I have with others. HOWEVER, had you done a search you would have seen that this topic has been discussed ad nauseum as of late. Any questions you have would have been answered IF YOU HADN'T BEEN SO LAZY.

Finally, any chance you had of getting answers out of me is gone. I'm sure others who read this might feel the same way. But don't worry- I'm sure you'll find another good K5 site where you'll find the info you're looking for....... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

14. Todd 91

Well pard, I'm not asking for a flame war, just some towing info. I'm very impressed about your flame war experiences. They mean a lot to me. Really.

I do understand your etiquette here. I've lurked for awhile and have gotten some great info from this site. I did a search, didn't go back far enough. Sorry I ruined the experience for you.

Now I'm lazy? Wow. And in highlighted letters. Is that more lazy. I'm not sure what your problem is. I didn't do enough of a search. I know I'm the bad guy for that. I did do a search now and made it back to NOVEMBER until I found what I was looking for.

Finally, I guess I'll have to carry on without all your knowledge. I really am bummed about that because you do seem to know what you're talking about. If I piss off others here, I guess that's how it'll go. I did write that I came to the experts with my question and I mean that. Just don't let your head get to big that you can't get out the door. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

15. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I just want to know if 33's will fit on my stock K5 and will beaver oil aid in towing?

16. Can Can

Beaver oil can lower the temperatures of your drivetrain components(tranny, transfer case, motor) due to it's high lubricity level. The proper mix of motor oil and beaver oil is up for debate, though. Any thoughts?

17. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

hmmmmmmmm, just to check, i did a search using the word towing and all boards, and went back three weeks, your parameters, and came up with this: http://coloradok5.com/forums/dosearch.php?Cat=&amp;Forum=All_Forums&amp;Words=towing&amp;Match=Entire%20Phrase&amp;Searchpage=2&amp;Limit=25&amp;Old=3weeks

looks like a lot of info in the past 3 weeks, are you sure you did a search /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

also sounds like your great hints remark was sarcastic, so it sounds like you did get lippy when you did not get the answer you expected /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

18. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Beaver oil can lower the temperatures of your drivetrain components(tranny, transfer case, motor) due to it's high lubricity level. The proper mix of motor oil and beaver oil is up for debate, though. Any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]
    I think it all depends on whether the oil is regular or synthetic and the grade of beaver oil. Too many varibles for one answer.

19. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

yes there is some low grade beaver oil out there, and it gets contaminated by too many users without proper cleaning in between users,

i agree, too many variables, more information is needed /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. Can Can

Well, since I have access to what I think is a HQ beaver oil source, let's use that as a starting point. I would have to say the the lubricity level in the aforementioned beaver oil wouldn't want to be used in a ratio any higher than 1000:1.

How did I come to this conclusion? I believe the proper mixture of two stroke oil is 50:1, and I regularly test my beaver oil using the 20 stroke method(or 8 seconds, whichever comes first.....)

This would be using dino oil. Synthetic is slicker, so you may have to adjust the ratio. And depending on your beaver oil source, you may need a bigger dose......