Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Town mulls recommending guns for all

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TSGB, Dec 7, 2006.

1. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

By Jon Hurdle
    PHILADELPHIA (Reuters) - A tiny town in western Pennsylvania could ask all of its residents to own guns, if a proposal under consideration on Wednesday wins approval from local officials.
    Under the proposed law, residents of Cherry Tree, Pennsylvania, would be asked to own guns and know how to use them. Cherry Tree, some 70 miles northeast of Pittsburgh, has about 400 residents.
    The town council was scheduled to vote on the proposed "Civil Protection Ordinance" on Wednesday evening.

Introduced last month by resident Henry Statkowski, the measure recommends that "all heads of households maintain a firearm along with ammunition."
    In written comments, Statkowski said homeowners have a right and a responsibility to defend against intruders rather than calling police and waiting for help to arrive.

The measure would send a message to "burglars, ne'er-do-wells and other criminal elements," Statkowski wrote.
    The male head of the household has the responsibility to defend the family from intruders, he also wrote.
    "I don't believe your wife would appreciate it very much if you said, 'Honey, I'll wait until the police arrive and have them defend your life,'" he wrote.

Statkowski could not be reached for comment.
    Chad Ramsey, a spokesman for the national gun-control group the Brady Campaign, dismissed the proposal as "ridiculously silly."
    The measure was unlikely to pass because state law prevents municipalities from making their own gun laws, Ramsey said. He said about 40 percent of Pennsylvania households own guns.

Aaron Fry, owner of the Cherry Tree Cafe, said he did not understand why the measure was necessary because guns are common. "Every house has a couple of guns," he said.

2. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

I think it's a damned good idea and those Brady Nazi's can stuff it up their asses.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

At one time the whole US of A were required to own firearms . Its is good for self preservation . What the hell happened to peoples brains :dunno:

4. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

LOL sounds like a creative way to solve for police budgetary constraints in that area ;)

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I think it's trying to make a point rather thanreally being set on getting it to pass. If it's an unlawful proposal, it's unlawful. But I wonder if it would be considered a gun law, since it just makes a recommendation rather than something that can be enforced...?

I hope they add a provision for knowing how to store them, too. I left a rifle on my bed last night and told my kids to go to my room for our bedtime wind-down and prayers. They made me proud, my son came right to me and told me it was on the bed, and my daughter stayed behind the barrel and went to the other side of the bed.

With all the home invasions we've had on Long Island in the last 3 years, some resulting in death, injuries, and rape, I'd love to see something similar on a ballot around here. But all the liberal NYC anti-gun nuts would freak...

6. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I wonder just how that state law is written. Does it say towns cannot "regulate" gun ownership???? Sounds to me like the exact opposite is what is proposed-no regulation.

I will NEVER live in a state that prohibits or severely restricts my gun ownership privelages.

7. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I will NEVER live in a state that prohibits or severely restricts my gun ownership privelages.[/quote] x2.

8. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

All these gun control people... don't they realize that outlawing guns they only prevent the law abiding citizens from using them... criminals will just be the only ones with them.:rolleyes: Not that they're trying to outlaw guns here but i think it's a valid point.

9. black sheep

black sheep Registered Member

I agree that all law biding citizens should own atleast 1.personaly I currently have 15 and thinking of buying myself another for christmas

10. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

If guns become outlawed, I'll become a criminal.

11. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I think it's a good idea. Would anybody really want to invade a home if they KNEW there was a very good chance that somebody had a firearm ready to go?

12. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

finally a gun law I agree with.:bow: down here in arkansas they arent trying to outlaw them, non at all from what I understand. I will also become a criminal if they outlaw them though. guns are on the top of my favorites list and I dont know what I would do without them.

13. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

its been done before....

Gun Ownership Mandatory In Kennesaw, Georgia
    Crime Rate Plummets

by Chuck Baldwin
    The New American magazine reminds us that March 25th marked the 16th anniversary of Kennesaw, Georgia's ordinance requiring heads of households (with certain exceptions) to keep at least one firearm in their homes.

The city's population grew from around 5,000 in 1980 to 13,000 by 1996 (latest available estimate). Yet there have been only three murders: two with knives (1984 and 1987) and one with a firearm (1997). After the law went into effect in 1982, crime against persons plummeted 74 percent compared to 1981, and fell another 45 percent in 1983 compared to 1982.

And it has stayed impressively low. In addition to nearly non-existent homicide (murders have averaged a mere 0.19 per year), the annual number of armed robberies, residential burglaries, commercial burglaries, and rapes have averaged, respectively, 1.69, 31.63, 19.75, and 2.00 through 1998.
    With all the attention that has been heaped upon the lawful possession of firearms lately, you would think that a city that requires gun ownership would be the center of a media feeding frenzy. It isn't. The fact is I can't remember a major media outlet even mentioning Kennesaw. Can you?

The reason is obvious. Kennesaw proves that the presence of firearms actually improves safety and security. This is not the message that the media want us to hear. They want us to believe that guns are evil and are the cause of violence.

The facts tell a different story. What is even more interesting about Kennesaw is that the city's crime rate decreased with the simple knowledge that the entire community was armed. The bad guys didn't force the residents to prove it. Just knowing that residents were armed prompted them to move on to easier targets. Most criminals don't have a death wish.

There have been two occasions in my own family when the presence of a handgun averted potential disaster. In both instances the gun was never aimed at a person and no shot was fired.

14. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

:bow::bow::bow:

If only the rest of the country would pull their heads out and apply this thinking to everything, maybe most of our problems in other issues would dissolve themselves.