Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

toy vs. chev

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PsychoticDeadGuy, Aug 6, 2005.

1. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

What is the specs and the strength on a corp. 10 bolt rear vs. a toyota 8" rear? I now have a 10b sitting in my garage and my buddy keeps blowing up his diff in his toyota, so how hard of a swap would it be?

2. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

I dont profess to be a toyo fan but as I understand it 9 inchers are favored,,,
    a 10 bolt over the toyo would give minimal improvements in strength and not worth the hassle I imagine... but again I have no swap experience

its easy to figure... measure widths... are they very close?
    cut off and re weld the perches with the correct driveshaft angle
    remake the driveshaft with the chevy ujoint to fit the tojo driveshaft... I doubt you could find a crossover ujoint... who knows
    6 luggers fit tojo and chevy so youre good there... unless its not 6 lug

I wouldnt waste my time unless it was for a 9 inch

cam

3. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

get a toyota v6 third and it will be stronger, aven better than that is the land crusier axle-it's disked and full float

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

any info on why his toy rear keeps blowing up? There are some guys out there running 38 SX's on steel rims on toyotas and never have problems (with the rear axle anyway!). Considering how small/light they are, the toy 8" rear is a damn good axle. The older ones are pretty narrow... depending on what he's swapping it into it might not be wide enough. Personally, I think the 10b rear is a POS... but maybe thats just me. Why not find a junk yard D60 rear or something? They aren't expensive and would be stronger than either of the other two. A SF 14b could be an option too...

j

5. PsychoticDeadGuy

well, its the diff that keeps blowing up. he has stock tires on it right now...but now that i have my 10b out and it held up to 35s with a v8 i think we are gonna put that under his truck and lift it and put my 10b front on there also. he is only gonna run 33s with just 4banger so he shouldnt have a problem breaking stuff. it is ifs front so we will have a big job ahead of us...i think its funny that a week ago it was stock height then he lowered it and now were gonna lift it with a sfa...the only thing that sucks it that it will only be 2wd for about half of the school year...

6. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Keeps blowing up the diff with stock tires? Sound like there is some other problem that needs to be remedied. What exactly do you mean by 'blowing up'?

7. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

Yeah, there has gotta be another problem, no way should a toy rear be "blowing" up with stock tires and engine! As was already said, the toy rears are actually very strong for there size, especially in its stock aplication.

8. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

The toy 8" rear is just as strong if not stronger than the 10 bolt. There is no way I would swap them if you just want a stronger axle. Something is wrong with your 8" if you are poping them with a stock truck.

9. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

There is something else wrong here. And like it was said, explain "blowing up" I wish i had taken a comparison pic of Toy shafts and internals compared to 10b stuff when i had my axles appart, because most of the guts and the shafts are bigger in the Toy. If anything a 10b would be a downgrade.

I have a very healthy 22r and 36" TSL's on my Toy, and the rear axle is pretty much stock other than the spool, and i dont have any trouble.

10. Boondocks

Boondocks 1/2 ton status

My DD is an 03 Tacoma with Supercharged V6 and Eaton limited in the rear. When I power around corners the inside tire chirps.

I have literally pulled stumps with it. Albeit, not large ones.

Never had a hint of failure with it.

11. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I have to agree with the rest. Something else is wrong if he keeps breakign the stock Toy axle.

The 10 bolt is weaker than a toy axle.... And if you look at POR or other toy specific sites, you'll see alot of people who like them and as Jek said, run 38's with them.... There are also a few guys out there who have gone D60 with the front and left the stock rear axle in place.

What is your friend breaking specifically? With stock tires, that 8" toy axle should hold up for a long time.

12. PsychoticDeadGuy

it has been the diff carrier cracking...which leads to more damage...he pops the clutch alot and does burnouts from gravel to street which would snap most axles...but it has always been the carrier...the reason for the axle swap would to be able to mount the 6 lug tires without adapters and also have a spring over suspension...8" of lift with 4" blocks...i am not sure but he wont be able to drive like he used to if he had 33s on it...it would be a cheap truck buildup...were talking under a grand to lift it 8" with 33s. and cut out the ifs suspension...

13. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

With the 10 bolt, he'll have just as many breaks if not more. Tell him to lay off the skinny pedal... That kind of abuse would spell disaster for "most" any axle unless he goes with a 60 or 14ff..