Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Toying with an idea(you may want to read this)...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NewK5Guy, Sep 25, 2002.

1. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

My 84 Jimmy chassis is solid. No rust. Rails are straight. Good motor and tranny. Front and rear 10 bolts are holding up about as well as could be expected after 25xxxx miles(rear is losing pinion seal, though). Well, I've shifting my attention to the rust issue now. I'm sure most of you here are familiar with this one, particularly in the rear area and crossmember that holds the tailgate hinges. Well, it was either fix all rust(most likely impossible), or purchase a lesser rusted or maybe even rust free CUCV from government surplus and swap bodies. Well, a new idea hit me. How about if I swapped on a third gen body on my second gen chassis? (newer body style 92-? or so) I figure after relocating the body mounts, fabbing up custom steering linkage (Flaming River, Borgeson) would be the hardes parts. Since I have a 6.2 diesel, wiring would be a snap. The only tough part would be the gauges, but aftermarket gauges would take care of that if need be. What do you think? Pro and con, I want to hear it all! I'd have the best of both worlds: solid front and rear axles on the most desirable chassis with a solid, simplistic drivetrain, and I'd gain things like power mirrors, power seats, rear wiper, better rustproofing, better structural rigity, better sound deadening, plus I'd have one of the most unique vehicles around. I could part out my 84 body/interior to help recoup costs plus part out the donor vehicle's chassis if possible. What are ya'll's thoughts? Like I stated in the title, I'm only toying with the idea right now. It never cost anything to dream.

2. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

Do a search, this has been covered a couple of times.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I personally like the body style of the first and second gen Blazers. It's your truck, so it's up to you what you do with it. Bet it would confuce the hell out of a dealership service dept. So if nothing more that that, it would be worth doing just to see the look on thier faces !!!!!

4. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You'd get props from me for doing something different, but it's not our choice. We could sit here and b!tch cuz you are a sacriligous bastard for putting a newer body on an old frame, but at least you are keeping it GM. Or, we could all go over there and glue our lips to your butt for doing something cool. Either way, it's your call bud. I'd like to see it.

5. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I like the idea. I still see wiring as a major issue along with wheelbase. Would your tires line up with the later model wheelwells? It would be really cool, but why not just put a solid front axle under the later model? You'd get the better frame, fuel injection, and less hassle. On the other hand, you'd have a much more mechanic friendly vehicle with the Gen 2 frame. Go for it, but be prepared to spend more than expected and have lots of headaches. Done properly, it would be a COOL ride.

6. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Ill make this short and sweet. It wont fit w/out looking like crap. There is NOTHING about the 2 frames that are even close. Youd end up w/ all the frame showing, and all different height body mounts. Youd be better off doing a SFA conversion and using all your parts on the 3rd gen frame.

7. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Youd be better off doing a SFA conversion and using all your parts on the 3rd gen frame.

[/ QUOTE ]

You beat me to it. I think the SFA swap would be exponentially less work, and would net a better end result.

8. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Now you want toying w/ an idea, Ive played w/ the idea of getting a 2wd, and using a coil set up like Ford, using Ford coils and utilizing the 2wd frame spring pockets. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

9. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Also, you need to check with the local liscencing dept. They go by the year of the body in most states, so if you put a 92 or newer body on your 84 frame, in the states eyes you now own a 92 /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif . That opens up a whole 'nuther can of worms afa emissions and all that crap /forums/images/icons/frown.gif . Do some research. It may be more hassle than it's worth /forums/images/icons/confused.gif . Id like to see a 1 ton 3rd gen, sfa conversion, with a full removable top! Now that would be different and way cool in my book! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif