Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Toyota 4x4....and 31's?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by theitalian404, Mar 22, 2006.

1. theitalian404

theitalian404 Registered Member

Hi all. Im currently running a 86' Toy 4x4 pickup, with 22r (2bbl), and 5spd. It's currently sitting on some el cheapo 255/70's and I wanna up the annie. Anyone think I can clear 32's?**(it's in stock form, no body, or susp. lift)** I know on my 85 Scottsdale I was clearing 33's with no mods at all....just a little sawzall....then I was running 35's with a 4" rough country lift. (damn, i miss that truck). Anyhow, im stuck with this toyota...but it's growing on me. It's only got 150,000 on the motor...and it's got a long ways to go. I just dropped the tranny/transfer case and threw in a whole reblt. setup of a donor 94. The only reason I had to part with my chevy scottsdale is due to blowing a motor, and a good price was offered ($4,000) and it needed a clutch, t.o bearing, and it had a busted fron diff. Anyways...yeah if anyone thinks I can clear 32's please get back. Btw they are super swamper tsl/sx 32 11.50's. Im getting four of em....brand new for $180. If ya'll don't think I can clear 32's i'll just run some super swamper ltb's 31 11.50's...which I know will fit.(my friend is runing them on a stock setup).

2. yoshisv

yoshisv 1/2 ton status

You should be able to run 32's with just a little rub nothing major, Or atleast my friend is.

3. theitalian404

theitalian404 Registered Member

anyone else agree?

4. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I put 31's on my yota, they cleared just fine, didn't do any articulating though. It's got 3" lift and 33's now, but I haven't driven it for about 3 years, the motors blown up.

5. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

The 86 I had sported massive 31's nicely in stock form. It would have held 32's but I would have suspected rubbing at full lock. Nothing a little tweaking n the torsion bars wouldnt have handled.

6. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

On my '95, I know it's a different body style but, it fit 33's nicely in the wheelwells at full stuff and 35's at full stuff with very minimal rubbing after SAS & lift. I would say that you'd be fine with 32's in stock form. If it rubs a little, then do a little :grind:.

7. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

If its any consolation im running 38.5" boggers with only 3" of total lift, and no trimming. Fenders have been massaged with a 2 pound mini-sledge, but thats it. I ran 32x11.5's on 15x10's with 3.5" BS on my last toy, completely stock.

8. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

ive got a friend with a 97 4x4 tacoma. he's runnin 32,11.5,15 ssr's on stock 15x7's and he only rubs frame on the passenger side at full lock. only trimming done was hammering back the pinchweld that kinda intrudes upon the wheel well.

9. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have 31s on my stock 89 toy. Let me know where I can get $180 swampers, and Ill fit them on my toy :D

10. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

I ran 31's on my 80 toyota 4x4 truck and they worked fine. You will notice some difference in performance due to the larger tires and weight. 33's are about the absolute max I would try to load those stock axles with.
    Seen many rearends blown apart when they try to go larger than 33's. My friend blew his running 33's but never had an issue with 31/32's

11. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

I ran 31x12.50 pro comp's with 15x10 on my 93 toy with only a 3" body lift.Without the body lift it would scrub bad.

12. bigkennye

bigkennye Registered Member

hey, i know this off the subject but doesn't the 6 lug toyota wheels fit the 6 lug chevy? I saw a toyota running chevy wheels just like mine and i know where i can get some nice wheels and tires 33's for really cheap but they came from a toyota, the size measures up the same with a tape measure.

13. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

Yes they do. I bought a set of 15X12's from board member "Moose" that came off of his sub that fits on my 85 4runner.

14. k5 krawler 50

k5 krawler 50 1/2 ton status

I too have 31's on my 86 runner. I dont really go out to much in it for that it is my dd, but when i do i usually dont have any rubbing.

15. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

I was pushing 35's with the stock 4.10's front and rear (with the SA, not IFS) with no problems. I could even use 5th gear (22re, 5spd) on the highway overloaded with engine and axle parts towing a pickup bed trailer equally loaded from Wyoming to Texas. Although through the hills it was 3rd gear all the way, 5th was no problem on flat land. They're supposedly stronger than a D44, although I don't know how much truth there is to that. As long as you don't drive it like a complete ass, you should be more than fine. No different than running 35+ on a 10-bolt or D44.

BTW, I have a 5.29 gear set and a LUK clutch with about 3K on it that are just using up space in my garage if anyone is interested.