Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Toyota FI on SBC

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 4x4Freak, Sep 10, 2002.

1. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

Yesterday I was at autozone and saw a suburban that the guy had converted to Toyota fuel injection. He works at the toyota dealership and did it all himself. He modified the stock intake for the fuel injectors and fixed the computer to work with it. It was a pretty clean install and definitely different. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

2. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    Are there any advantages to having the FI system be from a Toyota? Or is it just kind of like a "look what I did that nobody else has done before" kind of deal (which is still cool none-the-less). And that guy must know what hes doing with FI systems to convert one from a foreign manufacturer to work with a motor that is probably way bigger than what the system came off of, more power to that guy.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Since he works at a Toyota dealership, he probably had access to free parts and help from all the mechanics in the service department. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

4. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

I dont know that there would really be any advantages with that setup other than having FI, I think he did it mostly just to do it. It looked to me like the throttle body would be pretty restrictive in the upper rpm range. He said he's worked at the dealership for over 20 years, so he definitely knows what he's doing. He supposedly has a few Mercedes cars with Toyota engines in them too.

5. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Yeah, would be neat to do, just to do.

But I dont see a reason to do it over GM fuel injection setup.

Ken H.