Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Toyota front axle in a '99 ZR2?

Discussion in '1983-2005 S-Series models' started by TruckNutzDude, Sep 4, 2004.

1. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

Toyota front axle in a \'99 ZR2?

Hey guys, just checking to see if someone had any ideas if this would work or not. I'll be looking at the other s-10 sites out there as well. I figure the toy axle is stronger than the 7.5" ring gear I have now and the only weak part will be the birfield joints. I don't plan on going bigger than 33's though and this is my daily driver. I've got my full size for the real playing and it's got 44's
    Do you think I'll have problems with my brakes since the ABS sensors will be removed? (I'll be using a toy axle out back also.) /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Re: Toyota front axle in a \'99 ZR2?

Arent little blazers driver side drop t-cases? Toyota is passenger side, which could be a problem. Stock birfs would be fine with 33's and a front locker, you wouldnt have any trouble with that combo.

Another option is a cherokee front HP Dana 30. I was wheeling today with a guy who had an amazing Olds Bravada with a swapped in D30, and his was even stock with two piece shafts and small joints, and it held up all day just fine. Over the next two days ill see how well it does in the rocks.

3. TruckNutzDude

[ QUOTE ]
    Arent little blazers driver side drop t-cases? Toyota is passenger side, which could be a problem. Stock birfs would be fine with 33's and a front locker, you wouldnt have any trouble with that combo.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I believe you are right about the toy axle being pass. side drop. I just see it as an opening to swapin a 241 or a 208 case and get rid of my electronic shift junk. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

Keep me updated on that Bravada, sounds cool!

4. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Ive snapped a few pics of it, ill have to get them up and post them. Im not sure what trails he ran at rockport, we went out early and ran some of the real hard stuff, so i didnt really get to see him on the rocks. But i do know that it will ramp over 1100 on a 20* ramp.

If you really want to get rid of your electric shift stuff and run a toy axle, i would assume you would be welding new perches and bracketry. If so, you could *try* to find a 91-97 FJ-80 complete axle. These had even larger birfs(guys run 35's locked under 5K pound+ cruisers with no breakage), and are high pinion. Not to mention the always nice factory selectable locker that came in about 75% of them. Only downside is that they are a little wider. If this is a problem, then you could pull the 3rd member and grind a minitruck axle for it.

5. TruckNutzDude

ZR2 series S-10's are 4" wider than the regular s-10's. I think the FJ'80 axle would be about right under my rig. Now the only hard part is going to be finding one in a junk yard. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif I'd still like to see some pictures though. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

heres a couple links to pics i took.

Front axle

Whole rig

You can look through my whole album and see a few more pics of it. For only being on 31's and open diffs, it did absolutely amazing. He was outwheeling people on same size and bigger tires that were locked front and rear. It ramps over 1100 on a 20* ramp, and was pretty stable on the trail. To be perfectly honest, wheeling with him and his creation has caused me to re-think buying and building another toyota this winter. I may go looking for a 2 door blazer to build.

7. TruckNutzDude

That front axle looks like it would be narrow under my body. I think the best part of that rig is that it looks harmless but it's quite capable. I did amazingly well on my last trip when I was out with a guy on 37" Swampers with a detroit up front and 5" of lift. I went over every boulder and through every mud pit (halfway up to my windows in water... over the hood /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif) and never got stuck. I think it's got a lot to do with driver skill though /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

8. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

I know it has a lot to do with driver skill, but his rig was very well built and very balanced. His bumpers and sliders really came in handy.

I wish i had gotten more pics of the suspension, he had a 3 link rear and a triangulated radius arm setup on the front.

9. TruckNutzDude

That sounds like a really nice setup. I'm going to stick with the classic leaf spring system for mine. Mostly because I don't have any spare cash and because it's easier to work with. I don't know much about coil spring systems yet and I'd hate to try with my daily driver /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif