Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

toyota headlight problems

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by crash1369, Mar 12, 2006.

1. crash1369

crash1369 1/2 ton status

ok so whos going to amaze me with their astounding toyota knowledge :)

i told my friend from work that i would help him with his truck, hes got a 99 rav4 which he just recentley had "repaired" he had allot of electrical things not working correctley, windows, speedometer, im not sure everything but it seemed weird cuz they were pretty unrelated. anyway he brought it to this machanic who said he changed a relay, apparently that was all it took to fix all these problems. everything seems to be working now but his drivers side headlight is barley on the passenger side works fine though.

i took a look at it today but i lost my mulit meter so i couldnt get to in depth but all the realys apear to be the original ones so i dont think this guy changed anything. of corse i checked the bulb, its fine and i didnt see anything that stood out that could be causing it. Now this may have been done on purpose by the shop he brought it to just to keep him comeing back were not sure but if thats the case i would think it should be a pretty simple fix but im not sure where to look. im going to bring my multi meter from work home tomorrow and try again but any help would be great at least then ill have some direction. thanks :waytogo:

2. crash1369

crash1369 1/2 ton status

nobody?

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

battery is on the passenger side isn't it......

4. crash1369

crash1369 1/2 ton status

im not sure it might be, why? you think it might be the wireing on the battery? maybe it is, thats something for me to check

5. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

try swapping the strong bulb side to side.... it may just be that bulb going out. I have a full wiring schematic at home let me know if you need to know anything in specific. My sister's rav4 was much like that, a turn signal with the headlights and a/c on would rev the motor up and down with the blinker

6. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

it's commom for the battery side light to go out more often since it gets more ampers then the other side. the trick is to add about a 3 or 4 foot chunk of wire to the system and add another ground to make sure it is good and solid system.

7. crash1369

crash1369 1/2 ton status

wow thats really wierd, that was the first thing i tried switching the bulbs that wasnt it.

and its the driver side light not the passenger so adding wire to the passenger side wouldnt do anyhting would it?

thanks for the help everyone