Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Toyota V6 head gasket

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dremu, Apr 14, 2007.

1. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Brother has a '94ish 4Runner with the blown head gasket. I know there's a recall, which may have already been done to the truck, so I'm having him look into that.

Failing Toyota doing it, the other affordable option is to have the wrench of the family, i.e. me, do it.

Anything I should know about this? Think I've got the idea down, though the prospect of a computerized smog-era engine is not pleasing to me. I figger I'll do head gaskets, timing belt, plus any other small stuff (valve cover gaskets, hoses, belts, whatever) while I'm in there.

I did a little Googling, looks like maybe the head *bolts* are part of the problem; along with a hopefully redesigned head gasket, should I replace the fasteners?

Any other gotchas?

Depending on how long it's been trying to burn antifreeze, I'm gonna advise he sell it as soon as we get it running, but it's not worth squat in the shape it's in.

-- A

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Pull the heads, have them cleaned, tested and resurfaced. Not sure if that engine uses torque to yield bolts but if it does they need to be replaced. The new gaskets are MLS (Multi Layered Steel). The job is a pretty tedious job and will take you some time to do but if you take your time you can do it.

EDIT: definately make sure that the recall has never been done and you might be able to get the dealer to repair it for free. The recalls usually have a limited amount of time to have it repaired though.

3. dremu

Well, the truck ain't worth having any *real* money, i.e. machine work, put into it ... plus my brother's broke, as always. I'm begrudgingly willing to do the labor, but I'm not gonna front him any $$ :deal:

We'll see what pans out on the recall side. I am hoping the dealer will deal with it and I won't have to ;)

-- A

4. Jason4x4

Jason4x4 1/2 ton status

they are torque to yield head bolts, they need to be replaced. Some service manuals I've seen say how to check them, But every thing I have ever been taught, is once stretched, they are garbage. Also, send the heads out and have them checked, not worth doing it twice, if it has a blown head gasket, it is because the head is warped. Also, mark the heads for left and right, you can't tell the difference till they go back together a ways, but make sure they go on the side they came off.

5. 4X4HIGH

Sorry to differ with you but the distributor will only go in one head so you can't get them backwards.

Aaron, if you aren't planning on doing anything with the heads once they are taken off then don't take them off. It will happen all over again. Remember, i do this for a living and have seen and machined many of these heads and they are all warped. Also the surface needs to be perfectly smooth and flat for the new MLS gaskets.

6. Jason4x4

Jason4x4 1/2 ton status

the distributor goes into the front camshaft cap on the drivers side. With the cams removed, they look identical.

7. 4X4HIGH

That makes more sense but regardless you cannot swap the cam tower caps from head to head so like i said, you can't get a head on the wrong side (unless you've mixed the caps up from head to head).

8. dremu

All duly noted. I'm doing all this through the parents, as well... I suspect so that Dad doesn't hafta foot the bill, but we'll see.

I figgered I'd do the research 'fore I tore into the thing blind.

-- A

9. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

get a japanise kid to do the work, they are the only ones who can get there hands into some places that bolts need to be removed:deal:. Thats my only suggestion I have after changing the starter on my 89 xcab last weekend :o:doah:

10. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

This is not necessaryily true. The old head gasket design was so deficient that often times the gaskets would go when there was absolutly zero head warpage. If the warranty work has NOT been done then all you need to check the heads and block for is excessive electrolosys. It is unlikely the heads or block will need machine work. My buddy and biz partner was a Toyota Master Tech for 18 years and did over 300 of the head gasket recalls. He said that upwards of 90% of them needed no machine work and only the gasket replaced.

Just some FYI

EDIT:
    Toyotas are easy to work on. It's all about the right tools and 'if you can take it apart you can put it back together' theology.

Also DREMU was lamenting working on an EFI rig. There is nothing in fuel system or electronics that you have to really mess with. Everything has a connector or a bolt or a fastener of some sort. It is all mechanical and like I said before, 'if you can take it apart you can put it back together'

Good Luck

11. 4X4HIGH

The recall entailed pulling the engine, surfacing the block decks, resurfacing the heads then putting it all back together. You better go do some more checking.

12. bigbluesuburban

I think I'm right on this one...

I have seen what happens to anyone who disagrees with you with regard to anything automotive on this list and so I say this with caution... not because I am wrong, but simply because I am not in need of a pissing match today.

If you are correct, and we are talking about the same 3.0L head gasket recall that dealerships were neck deep in around 2000, then I would have to say that all 6 or 7 of the Senior Master and Master Technician that were employed at my local dealership were all doing the recall incorrectly.

I am going to assume that you are reading about the
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]SPECIAL SERVICE CAMPAIGN (V06) FOR 1990 – EARLY 1995 TRUCK, 4RUNNER & T100 WITH 3VZ–E V6 ENGINES Under the Special Service Campaign Program[/FONT] on something like Mitchell or some other manufacturers recall update service. And although the recall MIGHT state that the block is to be pulled and the head and block machined, I assure you that the dealerships were NOT doing this on every single head gasket job.

Just to make sure that I am not misspeaking from what I remember I just called my friend and business partner, the Toyota Senior Master Technician with 23 years experience and he has reiterated and verified all the information that I have stated with regard to this particular recall. The blocks and heads were replaced based on damage, not as a blanket standing order. Technicians used a needle tip dial gauge to determine the depth of the electrolysis and only if it was out of specs were the block or head machined or replaced

I have included a few links to some supplemental reading and highlighted a few key statements. Although I know not all the referenced materials are factory or industry representatives. There is an obvious unity with regard to their information that is uncanny.

http://www.brian894x4.com/V6headgasketrecall.html

http://www.cartrackers.com/Forums/live/Toyota/688.html

Have a read of what 'Never Again' posts... the 6 post on the thread.

This particular quote was taken from this web page. http://home.off-road.com/~kemanuel/V6-HG.htm

There are many more of these examples on the web but I am not going to search out each and every one of them.

I realize that I might pad a lot on this site, and I realize that I am n00b based on my minmal post count. But when I weigh in on a tech issue I do so cautiously and I try to have my ducks in a row. The only reason that I am rebutting your statement is that I interpretted a little bit of 'shut up n00b' undertone to your statement. If I interpreted this incorrectly then I apologize for going overboard with this particular post.

13. 4X4HIGH

Yes, this is the recall that i'm talking about. I do work for all the dealers here in town including the Toyota dealer. I can't count how many of these things i've repaired for them in the exact way that i mentioned. They had sent me a copy of the recall order and what was to be performed way back when it first happened. Maybe by some chance each dealership dealt with the damage differently. :dunno:

I had no meaning for any kind of Noob statement. Everyone here was a Noob at one point and like i've said before, there are some peole on here with a very high post count that don't know sh*t and there are others on here with a very low post count that know alot but only post minimally.

14. bigbluesuburban

I understand where you are coming from, after all the only ones that you see would have been ones that required machine work. You most likely did not see the many that didn't require machine work. Just a thought.