Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TPI 350 Swap HELP!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by derek2002, Aug 8, 2000.

1. derek2002

derek2002 1/2 ton status

About 6 weeks ago, I pickup up a TPI 350 with the complete wiring harness and computer out of a 1987 Firebird for $800. I want to put it in my 1977 Chevy 3/4 ton. The truck will have either a TH400, SM465, or TH350. I havent decided yet. The other thing is that I have the engine sitting in the truck, but there is alot more wiring than I am going to need. It has all kinds of connections for parts of the car that wont be neccessary on my truck. I have heard that there are people that specialize in TPIs and could rewire my stock harness, but I have no idea how to get ahold of one of these guys. Also, I have the complete harness from the firewall out. I dont need the dash or internal wiring harness from the donor car, do I? Any tips and tricks to help the installation move smoother would be greatly appreciated. Also, I need some names and numbers for TPI gooroos.

Thanks in advance!!
    Derek

2. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

First off I'm turning green with envy here! I'd love a TPI 350! There is a company called Painless wiring that makes a retrofit wiring harness for swapping TPI motors into older iron.
    You will probably have to get the flex plate or flywheel for an 87 and up SBC because they are different from the older ones. In 87 they went to a one piece rear main seal and the back of the crank is different than the old style.

Rene 81 Jimmy,350,SM465/NP205,FF14 bolt,HD Dana 44,3.73's,4"susp.,35"Grabber MT's,body in progress

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Depending on how much you like playing with wiring, I would probably recommend buying an aftermarket wiring harness. Performance stores like Jegs and Summit usually carry them. A friend recently installed a TBI unit on the 350 in his Jeep. After spending a couple of days trying to figure out the stock harness, he pitched it in the trash and bought an aftermarket one which didn't have any of the unnecessary wires in it and made hooking everything up relatively easy.

5. derek2002

derek2002 1/2 ton status

I would like to stay away from aftermarket harnesses b/c they run about $300....

Thanks,
    Derek

6. They print a book with most of the info you'll ever need in it!!!Advanced adapters sells it,I think jegs and summit should also;its called the gm fuleinjection swapers guide or something like that.I think there are several publications on this subject.
    Good luck.

IF IT AINT BIG IT AINT BAD!!!!!!