Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tpi 383

Discussion in 'The Injection Section' started by sled_dog, Apr 26, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Looking at TPI setups on Ebay and may well pick one up here. My Burb went to the junkyard with the TBI wiring harness and computer in it(doh). Thinking a TPI setup will just be hotter anyway. I have never ever been a fan of TBI. So what do you guys(specifically TPI knowledgeable folks) think I'd need to run a 383 TPI? Thinking a larger throttle body wouldn't hurt, maybe bigger injectors, definetally some intake porting work(siamese maybe?), fuel pressure regulator, and of course a new chip. The motor will be in my crawler/trail rig so power above about 6K won't be needed(probably limit at 6K). My heads are ported, I have an LT4 camshaft(203/210, 116.5 LSA), and of course its a 383.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Check classifieds over at thirdgen.org for used TPI stuff.

I don't know as I'd recommend the long runners for a 383. Yeah, you'd have low end, but the long runners hurt upper end performance, and there really is no way around that...you still have long runners whether they are siamesed or not, plus the base, etc. Lots of experimenting over at TGO, but it seems to me that it's mainly an exercise in futility to try and get the long tube setup to compare to the short runner stuff. Stealth Ram, etc., all those expensive setups are what will let you make useable power higher up. Pretty big writeup in carcraft not that many months ago IIRC about the aftermarket intake setups and dyno results. May be on their website.

You'll certainly be needing chip burning. Bigger injectors a must. You can make the stock regulator adjustable, should come with any complete setup.

6000RPM is overly optimistic for TPI even on a 350. More like 4500RPM. Mine runs over 4500, but it's not making much power.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

hmm, damned either way. TBI is a horrible setup in my opinion. I've never felt power from it and well I just think its a bandaid transition system that was used too long. TPI I understand, high RPM sucks. Damned if I do damned if I don't. Carbs suck, can't afford a real fuel injection system. Maybe an LT1 intake with TPI computer.

4. dyeager535

Alot of talk about the Lx1 motors before. If you don't already have the 383, I'd probably look at that. The power curve is prety much flat (not much penalty down low) and would be a complete swap in. They make dang good power.

Yes some fabrication, but add up everything to build a 383 plus inject it somehow, then look at the cost for a complete low mileage Lx1 motor.

5. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

With a 383, I would suggest a totally aftermarket intake. One reccomendation is an LT1 intake. You will loose low end torque, but you will also pick up a LOT of high end power. Bigger injectors are a must, and so is a chip.

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I started with a 4-barrel, stock 350. Then stepped up to a stock '87 Corvette TPI 350. Next came the TPI 383 with the 'vette injection and heads on top of it, along with a little more cam, head porting, base porting, plenum porting, larger injectors, and Accell/Lingenfelter runners. The TPI 383 takes no prisoners. It makes monster amounts of torque down low thanks to the long runners then makes the jump to hyperdrive as the cam hits its sweet spot. :cool1: It's not a high revver, but lets just say that passing is no longer a problem, even up here in this thin air. :thumb: ;)

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Just bought a TPI ECM. Waiting on a LT1 manifold that has fuel rails and injectors to end on Ebay. Going to get a new Painless wiring harness. Hopefully all together I will have something like $500 in it :D before the custom chip that is.

8. dyeager535

So with what you've bought/projected to buy so far, how much will everything cost?

I seriously doubt you can get it installed for anything much under $1000 counting every piece you have to buy. If you can get lots of free stuff, great, but it doesn't sound like you are going to start out with much.

Throttle body included? Temp sensor, knock sensor, oil pressure switch/sender, fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel lines, VSS, electric fans, different accessory brackets, temp switch(es) for fans, fan wiring, fuel pump wiring, baffled tank if you want, eh, that's a pretty good list. :)

There were a few things there that "surprised" me when I started on my build, not putting those up to discourage, just things to think about. This swap will definitely nickel and dime you the whole way through. I should have just used one credit card to purchase everything it took to build mine, would have made keeping track easier, or even possible.

9. Russell

Yep, these swaps nickle and dime ya to death, but is worth it in the end as far as I am concerned.

If you are installing this setup onto a truck that didn't originally have fuel injection, I've got a wicked fuel pump that will be good for like 500 rwhp (150 psi @ 43 gph) I want to sell. I was gonna use it for my TPI setup, but wound up using a stock TPI intank fuel pump for the quieter operation / easier installation. I'd only want 100+ shipping. Its brand new and has never been used, I paid 140 for it + shipping when I bought it last year.

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Who makes that pump? If its a name brand pump I'd definetally be interested.

Eh sensors I have a lot of them, VSS isn't needed(TH350), Accessory brackets already have, throttle body IS included with the intake(though I may beat myself and get a bigger one), tank I have.

Fuel pump wiring is a matter of running wires from the relay and all, thats not gonna nickle and dime me. I was refering to the efi itself(sensors, computer, intake, injectors) not say the gas tank or the fuel lines(which I need new ones anyway since its a truggy project).

11. dyeager535

Do some searching on VSS. Trans doesn't matter.

You've got ones that will work with that intake? I can't tell much from that intake, but I know the alternator bracket from a carbed engine won't work with the TPI base. That one was a surprise to me, but not to anyone that had done the swap before me. Held me up for a bit. Are you using serpentine perhaps and that negates all the seperate bracket issues? Guess that would be a possiblity, right?

Now that its all together, it almost looks like I could have cleared a mechnical fan, (didn't think so originally) but it sounds like the LT1 intake sits the TB too low which will interfere with the air inlet?

I wasn't trying to include things you'd have to get anyways. How do you deal with those fuel lines? With most setups you have to either buy those expensive adapters, go AN, or find stock stuff to work.

Speaking of relays, I like those oval shaped relays GM used...tons of them on the Camaro's and TBI trucks. I know there are smaller, but I like the fact that they are typically mounted on little brackets that can be bolted in place. Multiple relay holding brackets as well. In actuality the bracket that you'll find on the TPI camaro's holds all the relays on one bracket, which works great. Easy to repin too.

I'm assuming MAP? Less relays, less expensive parts.

That's the point of the nickel and dime comment. A dime for each extra bolt you have to buy, sheating to protect the wires, clamps to hold it out of the way, maybe a couple dollars here and there, many runs to the parts and hardware stores, etc. They don't empty your wallet, it just all adds up in the end.

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

MAP

Serpentine brackets. Require a little clearance work.

I'll have to search, whats up with VSS and TPI? I know TBI doesn't use it if you have a stick setup so why does TPI have it?

13. dyeager535

TBI DOES use it with a stick, that was a myth that was finally disproven awhile back.

VSS is used with IAC. Let off the gas, you may end up stalling without the VSS input. People have run it (blazinor originally was) without, said it worked fine, then run VSS, and said they weren't removing it. Others experience the stalling issue.

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Uhh if my Burb had VSS I'd love to know where the wire assembly was hidden. Just a mechanical cable ran from the speedo to the tailhousing on that thing.

I read up on TOG about VSS with TPI. Maybe I'll take the cue from the boss man with his doubler setup. Thats the big issue for me, the rig is going to have a th350 with a doubler so VSS won't be a "grab a junkyard piece" deal.

Note my new thread for something I spotted on TOG I'm finding quite interesting.

15. Russell

TPI will stall out if you go to stop and don't have a VSS. It actually uses the VSS for a whole lotta different table definitions.

As far as the fuel pump goes -- I do not believe it is a name brand unit.

Here is a picture of the unit:

[​IMG]

16. Russell

Your VSS was bolted to the back of your speedometer.

They switched to the transmission VSS when they moved to the electronic speedometer.