Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tpi/700r4 swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 99firehawk, Aug 17, 2003.

1. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

Hi everu body im kind of new here but I had a quick question. I have a 1983 k5 with a tired 350 and th350 for a drive line. I can get a real good deal on a low mile tpi 350 and a 700r4. What would I need to do to swap the trans as far as drive shafts/transfer case. The truck has a 6 in lift also. tia for your time
    brad

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Make sure you get EVERYTHING from the TPI donor. Computer, wiring harness etc.

The easiest thing to do with the rest of it, would be to set it into place bolted up, and then connect the motor mounts where they set on the frame.

Someone else would have to help you with getting that 2wd tranny to work....

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

TPI 350 bolts in place just like the "stock" 350.

You could use the TH350 for the time being, although I'm a little unclear as to whether the TCC is a problem. If TCC works on your TH350, it might work for the 700/TPI setup.

Tranny really doesn't matter, since the ECM only needs to know park/neutral vs. being in gear. Only transmission related thing the ECM controls those years is the lockup converter.

4. 99firehawk

What I need to know is what do I need to make the trans bolt up to my tranfercase and will i need new drive shafts. engine comes with all sensors, ecm, uncut wiring harness. ect.tia

5. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I thought the 700 was longer, and doing it that way would remove the possibility for new/different shafts....?

6. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

ok,here it is.to make a 2wd 700r4 work in a 4wd,the trans must me completely disassembled(say cha-ching$$$)and the output shaft replaced with one from a 4wd.you will be better off finding a good used one,or even a core and have it rebuilt,before trying to convert a 2 wheel trans to 4 wheel,unless your brother-in-law works at aamco.use the th350 until you can get a 700,if money is an issue. also,the 700 is a little longer,so your rear shaft will probably have to be shortened(maybe not depending how much lift you have),and your front shaft will have to be lengthened.hope this helps.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I was tlaking about in regards to the TPI. All other issues involved with a tranny swap are going to be the same regardless if injected or not, and were covered by the poster I am replying to.

8. 99firehawk

Ive taken trans apart before and put them back togethere with success but my experince with 4x4s are slim to none. so I thought Id ask. Ived had the truck for 9 months the drive shafts are 8 months old broke the rear the first 2 weeks I had the truck. so I have 800$ in in brande new driveshafts and dont want to pitch them and have to do new ones. I was just hopin some one would say It will swap right in. I would buy just the tpi and swap it and keep the t350 but the seller will not seperate them.
    thanks for the replies

9. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

just so you know,its not that expensive to get a driveshaft extended,the last one i had done was $100 if i remember correctly,all they do is replace the tube and balance.shortening a driveshaft is even cheaper,maybe $50.

10. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

If it is that good a deal get 'em both, and sell the 700....