Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TPI, anyone ever use the TBI computer?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mpascino, Mar 22, 2002.

1. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

Hey guys, I am in the process of accquiring some TPI parts. Looks like I will have basically every thing from the intake up, no computer wiring or sensors. After reading a bit about TPI is see that it uses bank injection just like the TBI. 4 injectors fire at a time. What is to stop me from wiring the Injectors up in banks to my current injector wires and using most of my existing senors and such? I've thought about this for a while and hav enot came up with a good reason not to try it. The only question is the resistance of the injectors, which should 't be an issue. I knwo there are companies that modify your stock computer and Wiring harness to use with TPI so it has to be possibble and I am pretty sure all they do to the computer is change the chip. Anybody try this?
    Thanks in advance for any info.

Mike

2. WOLF359

WOLF359 Registered Member

Never done that, but i currently use a TPI computer from a 91 Camero to fire my TBI. You cross link the left front and right rear injectors and the right front and left rear.

I got the harness from Howell.

All the other sensors, MAP, IAC, Coolent Temp, and O2 are the same.

3. BigBad75K5

BigBad75K5 1/2 ton status

Nope, you need a Tpi computer.
    This is for mass air systems
    GM Computer Part # 1227747 or 16121154 Computer Chip Part # PROM: GM#-16139566, Calpack: GM#-16060836
    This is for speed density cars.
    GM Computer Part # 1227165 or16198259
    Computer Chip Part #GM#-16068654

Just go to a salvage yard and give them the computer # you need. If it don't have the rite prom in it you mave to goto GM or an aftermarket company.
    Good Luck

4. BigBad75K5

BigBad75K5 1/2 ton status

5. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Well it would be more of a hassle then it is worth... plus then you are following the stupidity of Edelbrock. The TBI computer controls 2 injectors... now you want to step up to 8 or maybe 9 injectors depending on your tpi selection... that is asking way to much IMO of the electronics. Plus depending what system you use (speed density or MAF) you will have to totally hack your harness anways... too messy.

Get the harness and ecm.... then decide if you need more injector or not... then get a chip burned for it. Most likely you will get a tpi unit that has vats and/or a VSS and both of those are usually the unseen curveball in the swap.

6. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

The guys have great info..............I'll add one more piece. Why not get the right computer? I have seen them on ebay for $40.............even remfg ones for $100.

The SD computer for TPI is a 730 model...............