Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TPI Complete *PIC*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

2. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Sweet! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Bill

3. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Damn cool Harley. (drool, drool, drool, drool) Ah well, someday we'll be all grown up and have a setup like that. See ya soon and good luck.

Allan

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Sweet! But man, that looks like someone built a fancy mansion in the middle of a ghetto. Ya need to spruce up that engine bay now! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

PS. It'll run better if ya hook up the connection to the MAF sensor. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

5. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

RAWK ON man...looks FI is SOOO nice...No more pouring fuel out of a Coke can into the carb at midnight on Springcreek /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Chris

6. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

What's that filter for on your front bumper?? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

7. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

He has a remote filter kit for his tranny so that is a spin on filter for the 700R4.

8. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

That's what I thought it was, just odd to see it outside... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Sweet.

You can probably expect to get some TPI swap questions from me later on this year. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Hossbaby50

I know the engine bay needs cleaned up. I just haven't had time. I barely got the damn thing to run so I was happy with that. The MAF is hooked up, I just had the MAF and air cleaner off while I was doing some work on the motor and mocked it back on so my buddy could take the pic. Somehow, I actually thought to myself that Harry or someone would bust me on the MAF being disconnected. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I was right.

The oil filter on the bumper is my remote auxillary transmission filter as Chris stated. It adds about 1 quart of oil to the system, helps keep it cooler, and adds another filter for the 700R4 that I paid $1600 to have built. I also run a stacked plate transmission cooler, the stock transmission cooler, and a temp gauge.

As for questions about the install, bring them on. I will be glad to help. There are alot of people here that helped me and it would be very selfish not to help other people with what I learned and went threw.

Harley

11. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Nice job Harley!

I have been thinking about going to TPI on my 388 for some time now. I should really do some searching and start taking notes on the subject. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

I think my biggest hurdle will be making it work well with a less than stock engine. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

12. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

since I am a newbi....

what is fuel injection?

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'm starting to think that aftermarket EFI is the best way to go for a built engine. Seems like too many hurdles to make anything more than an engine with a few mods work with stock EFI.

14. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Go spend some time searching thirdgen.org. I think you'll see plenty of people there running at LEAST 12's on the "stock" systems.

Edelbrocks system seems to make its owners happy, but for the cost, I think a semi-intelligent person can do as well with a "stock" setup. Burning your own chips only requires a laptop, cable, PROM and the chip burner, the EEPROM and burner are something like $150, cable can be made for $3-9, and if you don't have a laptop, you can probably borrow one for a few days.

Yes in the case of TPI the long runners really are a restriction up high or on a large engine, but as BurbinOR can attest to, it still works and can make you happy on a larger engine.

As with anything, the injection system needs to be matched to what you want to do. Look at the miniram, stealthram, etc. Even though they are expensive, they will support a much "healthier" engine at a higher operating RPM than the stock runners. Still, I don't think the lowend torque is there like it is with the TPI system, but I couldn't justify the cost for any of those intake setups, so I didn't really research them much.

15. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Drool,Drool,Drool, .. I have my almost complete set-up in the garage but have many other things to finish first..
    Who's wirign harness did you use and was it right and corect for you..And did you use a in-tank or external fuel pump..Thanks Mike /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

So after looking at your picture, the only question I have, is what did you use from the plenum to MAF? (the rubber tube) Is that the jagsthatrun.com piece, or did you find another source? I'm needing one of those myself, so far been too cheap to pay the $12 for it, hoping I could find one cheaper. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

17. Hossbaby50

You will have to ask 87GMCJimmy. The rubber piece from the plenum to the MAF was included in my kit when I bought it from him.

Mike, as for harness. I used a Painless wiring harness. It was pretty darn easy to use. Make the connections that the instructions outlines, attach all the connectors to the appropriate sensor and you are pretty well done. It made life alot easier then a stock harness would have been. I have a stock harness also, and that thing is alot scarier then the Painless. Plus painless has a support line that you can call. They helped me with mine and I even told them I wasn't the original purchaser of the harness and it wasn't the original truck that it was installed in.

18. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Looks awsome..... Did you get all the bugs worked out?????? How's she running?????

19. Hossbaby50

It runs like a raped ape. The power difference between carb and MPFI is HUGE. Throttle response is great too. I have passing power in OD, and my motor wants to pull in OD at 1500RPM. My biggest bonus is that I have double digit gas mileage again. It has been awhile. I wouldn't change a thing. It was worth every penny and every minute of time.

Harley

20. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

What is double digit gas milage???? is that something new or what.... Great to hear your pleased with it.... Did you change intake up on the conversion or did you drop in a full TPI motor.... What year was everything????? I still want to do this but with not much work right now I am going to have to do all my planing until money gets pluntyful.... Anything speacial you can give us on the up-grade.... Also can you give us a mpg befor and after upgrade (without your foot into it all the time that is...LOL)...