Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TPI conversion question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CaveBlazin, Aug 10, 2004.

1. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ok Im getting things ready to convert to TPI and I need to know what the best vehicles are to get the wiring harness from and I heard about getting one from Street Performance which I am looking into but I need good donor vehicles as well. Also whats a good cost or average cost of some of this stuff I dont wanna get ripped off as Im sure everyone here does not. Also were are some good links or forums to look into for buying this stuff. THANKS ALL!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. CaveBlazin

Must be the impossible question /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Here, hopefully my write up will answer a few of your questions, and help you out some...

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/1092752/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1

I picked up my tpi setup for $300, then converted it to Speed Density, and by the time i was done i had about $1200 into the whole swap... but well worth it for my Daily Driver K5. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    I went with a wiring harness from street and performance.. It is wrapped/ shrinktubed in factory tape, instead of the painfull harness which is just ziptied to hold it together.
    The S&P harness is more expensive but you get what you pay for. That extra insulation is a piece of mind that the wires aren't going to get chaffed and cause problems down the road, especially when installling it and fishing all the connectors and wires through a hole in the firewall. I was very happy with the S&P harness and made it easy to install.. in one weekend i went from carburated to injected. If you get a factory harness you're going to have some cutting and splicing to do, i'd guess a week long project instead of a weekend... An aftermarket harness takes the headache out of the swap. Everything is labeled and ready to go.
    I also went through Mark at street and performance for my custom eprom chip burned for my application.. With a 383 i'd assume you'd need to do the same.

4. CaveBlazin

Ryan B you DA MAN!!!! That is exactly what I need wow thats was alot easier than the searches I kept doing LOL. Thanks again,
    Spence
    O yeah I may be contacting you alot on this LOL!!!

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Are you going to run a MAF or MAP setup? If you run a MAF setup you can't a harness from street and performance. I am using the Painless Wiring harness in my MAF TPI and it is great.

I am very happy with my TPI and also my Painless Harness. The stock harness is a very scary thing compared to the Painless Harness. Painless includes a manual on what to connect where and had very good tech support lines. I recommend them highly. They are also cheaper then S&P harnesses too. I would AVOID the stock harness unless that is the only option.

Harley

6. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

hey ryan. why not get the harness from painless and wrap it yourself with the shrink tube tape stuff? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

7. CaveBlazin

How much is the Painless harness vs the S&P harness?? and whats the difference just the wrapping?>? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

8. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Painless run $300 I heard S&P harnesses are alot higher.

S&P will do custom things to your harness if you want them to. Custom lengths, custom wiring to fit your application, etc.

Harley

9. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

Is your '86 TBI or carb? If is TBI you can repin the stock harness for the TPI computer. That is what I am doing with mine next week. You can look on www.thirdgen.org for more info. Just don't mention that you are doing this on a truck. Tends to get some of the people angry and leads to getting the threads locked. Ask me how I know! Tons of good info though.

10. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

You can use whichever set up you like the most. Or you can be cool like all the other 1st gen guys /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif and get it off a 3rd gen Camaro/Firebird!

You can find em on ebay, I wouldnt pay more then $350 for one. How I did mine, (and what id reccommend) fina the whole car fhr cheap, I got one for 150 bucks, then strip it yourself, youll actually make money on the TPI converson instead of spending money!

Dont waste your time with a harness from the donor car. Everyone says the Painless harness is not that good, its fine. Its not worth an extra $250 IMHO just to have the harness wrapped, I did that for like 9 bucks extra, AND its a good quality harness.

If you have a radical cam then you might want to think about a MAF set up. If you want to run MAP WITH a radical cam, the vaccuum has to be over 15". When I got my chip burned they said anyhitng with less then 15" is REALLY hard to work with, I had 16" (which is basically at the limit)and it seems to run fine.

11. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

He has a carb on his truck so he will need the harness and the computer.

12. CaveBlazin

I do not have a radical cam I have the RV Offroad towing cam. I also like Danny Said have a Carb so I gotta get a complete harness so I will look at the painless wiring setup if it seems to be the best setup.