Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TPI conversion ?'s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigOrange90Jimmy, Aug 21, 2002.

1. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

TPI conversion ?\'s

Alright, I know it's been done before and stuff, but I've got some questions. I can get everything to use from an early 90's late 80's something Trans Am. A guy at college told me that I could just splice the wires into my factory TBI setup. Will this work or not? What else would I have to do. All the parts are there, just need to know what else to get. I could also get the chip out of the computer if I have to.

2. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Re: TPI conversion ?\'s

Yup, its not that hard to splice the two wiring harnesses together. When I did my tpi conversion I used a Painless wiring harness but if I had it to do again I would just use the stock truck wiring harness and splice in the needed wires from the tpi donor.

Mike

3. 88streetblaze

88streetblaze 1/2 ton status

i actually spliced in some of my truck wires into the aftermarket harness i used. I would strongly recomend you get a wireing diagram for both vehicles to make things a lot easier..

4. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

so he was right? AWESOME! Someone's getting TPI, someone's getting TPI...... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Now if I need parts, i.e. injectors, where would I look for them. I know they're pricey.

5. 88streetblaze

for most sensors and such just go to the local parts warehouse, injectors and stuff like that i would look into like jegs or summit and compare prices with the local warehouse, I quess i should point out that you wont be using the much of the harness in your truck now for the new set up unless you get something like intergrator harness from Street & performance which will allow you to use your existing harness for the tbi, they have changed there website and i can't remeber off hand what their new site is, it's something like www.hotrodlane.com anyone know?
    anyways, when you do get the tpi make sure you get everything wiring harness, computer, everything that you can get your hands on. it's a worth while swap and you'll enjoy it /forums/images/icons/grin.gif , good luck.

6. JungleBoy

JungleBoy 1/2 ton status

7. 88streetblaze

found it harness yeah this will cost a little bit, and when i get home i can dig out my catalog and list the exact price if you want, but this would be easiest way to go from your tbi to a tpi. just a thought

8. 87GMCJimmy

For missing parts look at www.thirdgen.org or www.fbody.com used parts forums. Many people over there upgrade injectors/plenums/throttle bodies/etc and have perfectly good stock ones just sitting around collecting dust.

Mike

9. ming696

ming696 Newbie

This is my first post on this forum, so please be gentle /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I was planning on doing a full TPI swap on my '79 3/4 ton, but I'm thinking of selling it and getting a early '90's chevy 3/4 ton. I alread have the complete TPI, modified harness to work with speed density, sensors, etc. As I said the harness has been modified to speed density. Will I be able to swap out the harness from a early '90's truck with this one and not have to much of a headache?

I may have my '79 shortbed 3/4 ton for sale soon. Email me for pics and full info.
    ming696@swbell.net

10. 88streetblaze

yes and/or no. if you do something like the s&p intergrator harness that i linked above it won't be much of a headache, but if you use the harness you have it will be harder, very doable but it will take some time with the wireing schematics to stick it in. so the question really comes down to time or money. which is more valuable or do you have more of.

11. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

What's the price of the integrator?

12. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

ut oh...looks like someone else has the TPI itch.

13. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

did you use your TBI computer or did you switch over to the TPI? I really don't see much reasoning why the engine wouldn't run,the only differnce is the injector resistance and with the 4 injectors per bank it should be fine. I might try this out and see where it gets me.
    Thanks,
    Mike

14. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Mine is setting in the garage just waiting until I can get everything I need to do the convertion...... I'm itchen up a storm.....

15. 87GMCJimmy

No, I'm pretty sure you need the TPI computer. You just re-pin the connector to the computer from the TBI setup to the TPI. The only wires you might need to add would be for the MAF sensor if you got for mass air system. If you go speed desity then I believe all the sensors are the same, just different pin outs on the computer and lengthen the wires/add injectors plugs. Once I got figured it all out this would be a very easy/cheap way to go.

Mike

16. 88streetblaze

sorry it took so long to respond, it's been a horrible weekend. uhh the harness costs around $600 /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif , but it comes with the computer you'll need, then after that all you'll need to do is hook up one 12 volt wire, put in a high pressure fuel pump and connect the fuel lines. i wish s&p had their tech article online that's in their catolog from where they did this to one of their shop trucks,.

had i gone with a tpi instead of the lt-1 i would have done this.

17. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Seems it might be simpler to just get a Painless (or another aftermarket one) harness and start with it and a $100 TPI computer for simplicity..............just a thought. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

18. 87GMCJimmy

Yes, unsing a painless wiring harness is easier but more expensive. Althought I didn't really like the fit of the painless wiring harness and I sent several hours ajusting it to fit better.

Mike

Mike

19. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

$300...............and that is spendy but not compared to the $600 integrator harness posted a few above this ! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif