Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TPI Diagrams and ?'s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Oct 14, 2003.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

TPI Diagrams and ?\'s

Anyone have access to or know of any wiring, emmisions, or vacuum diagrams for an 88 TPI system? Would a Chiltons for an 88 Camaro or Firebird have all that in it?

Anyone know if a 16 GPH fuel pump is enough to satisfy a stockish 350 with TPI that doesn't see the high side of 4K RPM much?

Anyone know what the wire that runs to the base of the EGR valve is or is called?

How do I redrill the middle manifold bolts for use on older heads? I saw a jig used, but I don't know where to get it, or where to get the angled washers. Anyone have a quick easy way to redrill? Thanks

Harley

2. blaz72

blaz72 Registered Member

Re: TPI Diagrams and ?\'s

TPI needs 45+psi to run right,firebeird is a good referance.Ill ask my friand on drilling.get back to you.

3. Hossbaby50

I was wondering how many gallons per hour I need from a fuel pump. The pump I am looking at is rated at 50 PSI and 16 GPH. I need to know if 16 GPH is a high enough flow rating to supply a 350. I would think so. If you figure 10 miles per gallon and 16 gallons per hour that would mean I would have to travel at 160 MPH for 1 hour /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif to starve the motor, but I don't know how much extra fuel is pumped that gets returned to the tank.

4. kustom71

kustom71 1/2 ton status

Goto www.thirdgen.org they can help.Ilearned so much they have links to wiring diagrams,vacuum lines just alot of stuff.They helped me get going along with guys on here!!! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. Hossbaby50

I actually have a similar thread going on over there, but no helpful in yet so I thought I would post it here too. No such thing as to much knowledge right. Thanks

Harley

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    If you figure 10 miles per gallon and 16 gallons per hour that would mean I would have to travel at 160 MPH for 1 hour

[/ QUOTE ]
    But to find the true requirements, you need to look at short-term demand. Pulling a long mountain grade at wide-open throttle will use gas at a MUCH higher rate than cruising along a straight, flat highway. A 350 TPI has eight injectors that can EACH flow 22 pounds of gas per hour when the engine needs it. That would equate to a short term demand of 176 pounds per hour (22*8). /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Gasoline weighs somewhere around 7.5 pounds per gallon, which works out to just under 23.5 pounds per hour that will be required at full throttle in the upper RPM band (176/7.5). So a 16 GPH pump is gonna leave your engine running WAY too lean under load. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Oh yeah, the absolute BEST wiring diagrams that I have ever seen are the GM factory set for the '87 'vette. It's a complete book, with color coded wiring (that matches the actual colors of the wires in the harness), and each section of the harness has its own section in the manual. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Hossbaby50

Good call Harry. That I why I post stuff like this. So people with the knowledge can set my rookie arse straight. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I found the wiring diagram from an 88 Firebird yesterday and it looks pretty straight forward, but wiring aften does. Thanks

Harley

8. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Get the factory manuals, you can find them for about $60 for the whole set for say an 88 or 89 IROC or Vette at www.helminc.com - fuel pump gph can't help you with but make sure the 43.5psi minimum is met.

Keep reading over at thirdgen.org, there's a lot of info on tech articles, etc. (wrote one myself for swapping injectors, received 4 thank you emails for! ) Guys over there know about the drilling setup too. Do you have a post for that?
    /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

In 3rdgen's tech section there are links to the 85 and 86(?) electrical manuals. Almost nothing changed from those years to '88 wiring wise, but they WILL be off a bit.

I believe all the sensors will be the same, as will the plugs, but the complete electrical diagnosis manual (GM/Helms) will help here.

A set of the manuals (Say an '88 f-body service manual with the electrical diagnosis manual) shouldn't be TOO tough to find. The service manual tends to break down exactly what each component does, as opposed to the wiring diagnosis, which breaks down the wiring only, imagine that.

Just buy an '88 5.7 Camaro fuel pump if you are worried about getting the right thing. Some of the 90PSI Delco units (and I'm sure many, many others) can be substituted, and can be found more commonly and less expensively.

You still in a hurry on this?

10. Hossbaby50

Ya somewhat short timeframe. I am down to about 1.5 months till elk season so it should be really close. I am looking to run an external inline fuel pump. The one that I have found that looks like the best is either the Holley or a Walbro unit. Both retail for between $120 (Walbro) and $160 (Holley). I was hoping to find cheaper, but I am just going to bite the bullet and get a good pump and not worry about it. I picked up my new TV cable from the GM Steeler yesterday so I am getting closer. Just need the throttle cable and a few other little things and I should have all the pieces. How is your swap going?

11. kustom71

kustom71 1/2 ton status

If your just looking for a fuel pump street and performance sells the exact one you need thats where i got mine and its only $95.00.Its an actual ac delco pump too!They also have alot of the things you need and some prices are actually cheaper than the dealer.

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I've got roughly 7 days to get it done so it can go elk hunting too.

I was able to re-use the stock truck TBI fuel lines and the Camaro flexible lines for the fuel rail to frame rail lines, so the fuel system went in relatively easy. Not real pretty (straightened the fuel line then re-bent, pretty wavy) but it is securely fastened and I won't need to worry about it for 20 years. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I can probably supply o-rings for the fuel lines if you need them, GM is insane on their o-ring prices. I re-did all the injector o-rings, I highly suggest you pull an injector and inspect the o-ring..all mine looked horrible and were hard and brittle.

Mounted up the runners, and have been spending a lot of time figuring out how to route the wires. I want it clean, and it's getting there.

Only real problem at this point is the oil pressure sender and fuel switch. Fuel switch wiring isn't long enough to reach the front oil pressure tap, the port above the oil filter is not a 1/8" fitting (had to adapt that) and the oil pressure sender will need to be at the front of the motor by itself...I'd rather have t'd them at the oil filter, but there isn't enough room for the sender and switch at that location. You MIGHT look into the switch/sender for the 454 TBI trucks...3 prong and much smaller than the pressure sender we use. I should have, but not enoguh time now.

I could have used the pressure tap at the back of the block, but the TPI base obscures the hole, and once the base was installed, I could only thread in a plug...can't go straight up, and not enough room to thread in a 45* fitting. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif