Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tpi fuel lines

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tunedportk5, Aug 11, 2004.

1. tunedportk5

tunedportk5 1/2 ton status

I needs some ideas what to do for fuel lines to run between the new 89 tank-sending unit and the 89 tpi set up /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

What's wrong with the factory lines that are still there? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif You have a fuel inlet line and a fuel return line, just run the rear input/output fuel rail on the TPI and hook them up. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. tunedportk5

I'm thinking the carburater lines are going to be to much trouble to make work.

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Use the large metal factory line for your sending and a smaller line for your return. I used most of the metal lines that where already there. Any place that the fuel line is rubber HAS to be fuel injection rated soft line. It is about $6 a foot.

The return lines can be standard cheap rubber lines but any place between the tank and the fuel rail return fitting MUST be metal or FI rated softline.

Harley

5. tunedportk5

never even thought of use efi rubber hose thats a good idea

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ok, now I understand. You have a carbed rig but you're installing a 89 fuel tank with the intank pump. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Use you existing fuel line for the supply line but change out any rubber portion with EFI hose like stated above. The 89 sending unit will have a return line in the sender so you just need to route a return line along your frame and connect it to the sender return line.

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Depending on the year truck the return line may already be there. If it is not there should be a vapor return line. You can use that as the return.

Moroso also sells a splice kit to plumb a return line into your fuel tank filler neck. I used it on my truck because I was not aware I already had a return line. My truck was an 85 with a carb.

As I stated any line on the pressure side of the pump MUST be high PSI rated rubber line or metal. Standard fuel line will not hold the pressure. Standard line is fine for anything on the return side of the fuel rail.

High PSI soft line is expensive like I stated above though so using the factory metal lines saves alot of money, or if you can't reuse them for some reason you should probably replumb metal lines to cut down on costs.

Harley

8. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I used my stock line, used FI rubber hose, double flared the ends, then bent lines from the passenger side across and up to the drivers side, to the fuel rails.

For the return line I just used the EVAP. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I'd go with new 3/8" supply/5/16" return lines made out of metal line. Easy to do, and guaranteed they'll hold the pressure.

10. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yeah, you can get 250PSI rated rubber line that is super tough. I broke the metal line connections about half way up the frame-rail and then routed the rubber up over the transmission. Check this link for a few pics and stuff:

http://www.taildragger.info/K5/TBI/

The rubber line I used is "Push-lok". I used an fitting ends that mated into the rubber lines (on the FI side).