Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tpi GUYS! 305 to 350 Whats needed

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by primerk5, Jan 30, 2006.

1. primerk5

primerk5 1/2 ton status

My tpi setup will be here at the end of the week. Its a stock MAF out of a 305 camaro. the only thing i'm not getting is the wiring. Now this is going on my 350. What sensor's(?) and other things do I have to change (ECU(?)) to make this system work on my 350 it is a primarly bone stock engine. maybe a small cam in it. I know I need 350 injectors where is the cheapest place to get them at what price for what quality. Thanks your help will be greatly apreciated !!!:D :D :D :D :bow: :bow:

2. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Gonna need to replace the EST module, knock sensor, injectors, and the prom.

Most everything else should interchange just fine :)

3. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

and if you are short on money you can even run the 305 injectors if you have a small stock cam and have the chip constant set at 19lb/hr for the fuel flow rate

4. primerk5

primerk5 1/2 ton status

So the ecm will work just fine the way it is? (sorry I'm new to this world) The guy I'm getting it from is bringing me a book on it so, that will help me. Whats a Prom?

5. Russell

Yes, to an extent. All ECMs of the same service number are the same between 305 / 350, but the prom, which is a chip that is installed into the ECM is different between the two. The prom can usually be had pretty cheap on Thirdgen.org or something similar.

6. primerk5

primerk5 1/2 ton status

how do you install this said "prom"?!

7. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

remove the service cover on the ECM and it is the larger of the two chips that you can see. You can just get you chip reprogramed with a 350 TPI bin and it will be fine.

8. Russell

Just about what 79 Jimmy said :)

A `165 ECM like you have for the MAF setup has something called a memcal which contains the prom, along with a couple of smaller IC chips which contain the limp mode stuff for the ECM (in the event of an ECM failure, these small IC chips will run your car in a limited, but driveable mode so you can literally limp home.)

When you switch from 305 to 350, you need to replace the entire memcal. If you just change the prom to a 350 prom, you'll still have the 305 limp mode, and since the limp mode is fairly limited (not quite so much with the `165 MAF cars as the `730 MAP cars) you don't want to even think about running your 350 on 305 limp mode stuff. Mostly cause of the timing, a 350 will ping very bad on 305 limp stuff if you go more than just a very slow idle.

Replacing the memcal is very easy. There are 350 memcals all over ebay, and thirdgen. To replace it, you just undo the two screws that hold the metal plate on the front of the ECM, pull it off, push the little tabbies on either side of the chip down, pull the old one out, and slip the new one in. They only go in one way, so no worries there :)