Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TPI Guys Fuel pump question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by primerk5, Aug 28, 2006.

1. primerk5

primerk5 1/2 ton status

I'm getting ready to install a TPI system on my truck. Here is the dilemma. My truck has dual tanks. I would greatly like to keep this. (even though one has a hole in it.) Do I have to use a Intank fuel pump or is there a inline fuel pump that can pull the fuel up to it and pressurize it on the other side of the pump?

2. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You'll find that most inline fuel pumps are designed to push fuel, not pull it. It probally could be done for a while, but don't expect the pump to last very long.

Its probally easiest / cheapest to buy yourself a set of 87 TBI tanks, a set of TPI fuel pumps, and a high pressure switching valve.

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

tbi tank or tanks. switcher valve for tbi . then grab a fuel pump or 2 for a tpi car like camaro. then install on truck sender. 90% of the gm pumps are the same phisycle size and plugs. just put out more pressure and volume.

4. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

This should work...

The best approach is to use the in-tank fuel pumps as mentioned by the others however; an alternative method that should work is shown in the attached diagram.

A better alternative to the diagram I attached is to use two external pumps plumbed in between the selector valve and the tank, and swith the power to the pump with the tank selector switch.

I have never plumbed two tanks this way, but I have been running my TBI fuel system this way with one tank with no problems for 3 years now. The only difference is the addition of the selector valve, which should not affect the pump performance much as long as it was from an EFI truck. You also want the pump as close to the tanks as possible.

I personally like having the external pump. It's really easy to access and change, of course if you buy a Walbro you'll probably never have to change it:)

Attached Files:

5. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

This is what Holley recomends (pages 12-13):
    http://www.holley.com/data/Products/Technical/199R10179-2.pdf

Last edited: Aug 29, 2006
  6. primerk5

primerk5 1/2 ton status

thanks that holy information will come in handy when doing this fuel changeover. I will may look into sweetk30's idea as well. But wait?, On the holy diagram it shows a fuelpump that looks as if it is external. Why couldn't I put this on the engine side of the switch?

7. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

With just a hi pressure pump my k5 will surge for fuel below 1/3 of a tank of gas or so when cornering hard or under hard acceleration.
    When i swapped to my GenIII 6.0L I put in a low pressure fuel pump to feed a surge caniser, then a hi pressure fuel pump right out of the bottom of the surge canister feeding the fuel rail/regulator. Works awsome, never surges, and when you run out of gas, you are OUT of gas!
    Good luck.

8. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

Yes. The holley plumbing scheme uses external fuel pumps.

9. primerk5

primerk5 1/2 ton status

Ok then like I asked, would I be able to use one of these holy pumps on the engine side of the factory fuel tank switch and then run presure line from the pump all the way to the engine. Also Will these pumps last? As to the reply/quote from SierraClassic?
    ?

10. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

Use a Walbro external pump and you should be fine. Make sure you by one rated for high pressure one that can provide enough flowrate for you engine.

The key to the external pump is a large enough fuel ID on the inlet side, minimize the distance from the tank to the pump, and keep the pump below or at the level of the tank bottom. If you haveproblems with only one pump you will need to buy a second one and plumb it the way that Holley suggests.

11. primerk5

primerk5 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a plan. As soon as I get My wiring harness I'll see if I can make this stuff work. Thanks again