Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TPI guys

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by surpip, Jul 7, 2005.

?

which TPI

1. speed density

75.0%
  2. mass air flow

25.0%
  1. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

speed density or mass airflow?
    im gonna build a 383

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

oh and if you would please put why you would chose one over the other

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

MAP is cheaper to repair ($40/map, 160+ MAF) MAP seems to be a bit sturdier, and MAP is much cheaper and easier to deal with for intake air. MAF MUST be installed in the intake tract, and is 3" or so in diameter, meaning $$ for tubing.

If you aren't worried about cold air, you can clamp a K&N on the TB of the MAP setup.

MAP takes more effort to tune, and isn't as tolerant of engine changes as MAF (before needing to work with the PROM) but that's all offset by the above advantages IMO, plus the MAP coding is more "in depth" than MAF.

If nothing else, the physical and cost differences are enough IMO to go with MAP over MAF.

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If you are going to build a motor then use MAP. If you are swapping TPI onto a motor that you are not sure of the components on then MAF is a little easier and friendly to unknowns.

I have MAF on my truck and like it. I got a deal on my system and it was already MAF so I just installed and run what I had. If I could choose and had time and money to play around with I would go with MAP.

Harley

5. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I voted MAP because after lots of researching and talking to people before i made a decision with my tpi setup, i got convinced MAP was the better way to go. Mainly because i have a cam, and its going offroad where theres dirt and vibration that will kill a MAF sensor.

I hear that MAF will work for mild cams and light modifications. My buddy has a stock '87 MAF engine that runs strong. torquey as hell between 2,500-3,500. but my high performance cam leaves him in the dust from 3,500-5,000.
    MAP will require a new chip to be burned for each engine modification, but it will only get you in the ballpark.. ideally it would take a few hundred chips to get your engine in perfect tune... thats why now days guys will spend $1K+ for Accell or FAST computers so you can get it dyno tuned and make calibrations from a laptop plugged into your ecm.
    The key is to run a computer (tpi) friendly cam that has a wide LSA like 112 or 114.
    I think if you're going to sink some bucks in a 383 with aftermarket heads etc so it'll flow.. it should make good torque but the stock tpi will be holding it back on the top end. thats where the stealth ram or super ram system will make more top end.. or a bigmouth intake and large tube runners, and a larger throttle body..
    I know i want to do a 383 in the future, but then i'll probably be wanting a super ram setup to flow more..
    thirdgen.org has tons of information.. go do some reading on what some of the guys are running and their timeslips. :thumb:

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I vote SD/MAP for a offroad truck. Because it is not affected by dirt, water,
    And hard vibration.

For a street machine I like MAF systems. Because you can do more mods to the engine without getting a new chip burned. Usually can run the stock chip till you up size to bigger injectors.

7. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Im with the Speed Density guys here. In addition to what they said, it looks cleaner. Just be advised less then around 15" of vaccuum is hard to burn a chip for.