Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TPI guys

Discussion in 'The Injection Section' started by 85 Jimmy, Aug 21, 2006.

1. 85 Jimmy

85 Jimmy Sheepdog Premium Member

i have a few qusetions...

i have the intake from an 86 iroc camaro and the ECM from a 91 corvette, so which knock sensor do i use? also, i've read that if you run headers you need to use a heated O2 sensor, is this true? and if so why? one last question, when ya'll did the swap how long did th throttle cable end up being? i was going to get one from lockar so i need a length

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

i used a stock camaro throttle cable and it had plenty of length, you will want to use the knock sensor that matches the ECM that you are using. With using hedders you do need a heated o2 sensor because a normal singal wire sensor will not get warm enough to work. A o2 sensor needs to be at a specific tempature for the element inside to produce the voltage signal to tell the computer how the engine is running

3. bigblock72

bigblock72 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Definitely match the Knock sensor to the ECM.
    Using a heated oxygen sensor is a good idea with headers but not mandatory, the only time you may run into problems is if you let the engine idle for extended periods of time in cooler temps (unlikely in your neck of the woods). I don't have heated sensors on either of my TBI trucks with headers and have never set a code or even gotten questionable voltages when in closed loop. Just make sure you put the sensor in the reducer or even in the collector if your headers aren't coated.
    The stock Camaro cable is 25" bracket to bracket or 35" overall.
    Make sure those injectors are from a 350 and not a 305.

4. 85 Jimmy

thanks alot, so i need to order a 35" cable? i've got the injectors covered, i got new accel 24# injectors. i'll just run the regular o2 sensor and if i run into problems then i'll swap, and i'm putting the bung in the collector.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Oh hell. Return those injectors asap if you can.

Just go over to thirdgen and search "accel injectors" and count how many work good compared to not. :( If you want good cheap injectors, search "Ford SVO injectors" at the same place.

I've got a Camaro cable on mine (TPI app) it's long enough that I've got a loop in it, but it works fine.

6. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

For a throttle cable, I was going to get a Camaro one, but nobody had one in stock. I went behind the counter at Autozone and looked at what they had in stock. There was one there exactly like my stock cable, except about 3" longer, which fits perfectly. The camaro one is sort of "bent" where is comes out of the firewall, but this one is "straight", like the stock K5 one. It was about $20. I'm sorry, but I don't have the part number handy.

7. Shiprekd

Shiprekd 1/2 ton status

I went with the lokar cables and tpi bracket on mine.

I wound up taking the plastic clip from the stock cable and put it on the gas pedal side of the lokar cable. Worked perfectly...

I eventually wound up getting rid of the 700r4 and used the cv cable for a hand throttle cable. the lokar tpi bracket made it real clean looking and functional for the hand throttle addition.

I'm betting you're using the 730 ecm; if so, use sensors from an 88-92 5.7

8. 85 Jimmy

no, i'm using the other ecm... forgot the part number but it's the one that's water proof from a corvette

9. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

the water proof one from the corvet is the same thing as the 730 hardware and software wise