Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TPI HEI problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Apr 22, 2004.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

My truck is being a B*TCH. I went to dinner the other night. It wouldn't start when I got out so I had my Dad tow my truck back to my house. I was getting no spark.

The next day I tried to start it again and it fired right up. I drove it around for awhile and got it nice and hot. It started just fine after I got done driving it when hot and after I let it cool off. Later that night I went out and tried to start it to move it. Nothing. WTF? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I am thinking bad module but it is not that old (1 month). What would case intermitent spark? It doesn't seem to matter if the truck is hot or cold.

Could a bad coil do this? I have replaced both the pickup coil and module within the last month.

I checked my module connections and they seem fine, the coil leads are tight, the coil wire is tight, etc. What else should I check?

My truck has MAF TPI installed on it. Stock TPI/TBI ignition though. Thanks

Harley

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Harley, mine isn't TPI but my HEI acted up couple months ago too. Would do exact same thing. I hit the cap in anger and it fired right up/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Had warranty on coil and module replaced (as well as trail spares)in case and same thing all over again. When I did ny yearly tune up it went away so I never knew exactly what it was , maybe moisture in cap or dirty rotor . Not sure. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Same deal on another car i had, intermittent spark, hit the top of the coil, and it would fire right up, i am thinkin it may have a or some loose wires inside the coil pack, they are not that expensive, i would replace the coil.

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have got a spare coil that I am going to install tonight or tomorrow. I am running the small cap HEI though so I don't have the incap coil. I have the GM dual connector coil.

Harley