Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TPI Help ASAP

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Hossbaby50, Mar 15, 2004.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I just got back from Lake Havasu, but barely. My truck is being a POS. It dies on me after it has been running for awhile. This morning I left and made about 80 miles then it died.

I checked things out and thought the fuel pump was the problem. Changed it. It ran fine then died 30 miles later. It died 6 times but made it home. Here is the list of stuff I changed in order. Nothing fixed my problem.

(350 MAF TPI, external fuel pump)

I tried disconnecting the TPS and the MAF sensor also and neither helped.

Changed:

fuel pump
    ignition module
    ignition coil
    ECM
    MAF relay (both)
    fuel pump relay
    EST

It is only throwing code 12.

When it dies it won't start for about 10 minutes, sometime it would start up sooner but would idle poorly and die. Then after it cooled a little while it would fire right up like nothing was wrong. Any ideas?

I thought pickup coil, but I thought when those go they are dead, end of story.

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Bub you have got me lost at the moment on this one, i had the pick up coil die on mine twice, and yes i believe when they die, they are dead. Mine actually is starting to act up too, it misses quite abit when lugging the motor, gotta finger out this one too, shesh /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

sorry i can't help out much with anything except the pick up coil part. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

have you been able to determine if it has spark or fuel when it dies and wont restart?

4. FWP

FWP CRS

[ QUOTE ]
    I thought pickup coil, but I thought when those go they are dead, end of story.

[/ QUOTE ] Not necessarily. Sounds like ignition to me. I would pull the connector off the module, and measure the resistance of the pickup coil when it's hot. my guess it's toast.

5. Hossbaby50

I believe it is ignition. Last time I had something similar to this it was the iginition coil, but I changed that. I changed both the module and ignition coil, but neither fixed the problem.

It is going to piss me off if the problem is the pickup coil. It is only 3 months old.

Harley

6. FWP

FWP CRS

Harley, you got access to a fax? I have some good gm troubleshooting stuff on paper. It's for TBI, but I bet alot of it will cross over to your app.

7. bigyellowjimmy

hmmm, how about a ground problem? not sure what you are working on since its a TPI, is it swapped in a truck or is it a car?

8. Hossbaby50

Fred, I have access to a fax at work, but I already photo copied Rob's TPI troubleshooting manual. It is pretty good. I am going to read threw that later, but I am tired right now. I also don't remember the fax number off hand but I will get it just for grins incase I need you to fax me some stuff.

BYJ The TPI is swapped into my K5.

the guys at thirdgen.org are saying pickup coil which is kinda what I was thinking since it is the only thing left in the ignition system. I have a spare, but I didn' feel like ripping down the dist. on the side of I10.

Harley

9. Hossbaby50

also the I checked the ECM ground on the motor. It was nice and tight against the intake manifold.

10. bigyellowjimmy

rats, thought it might be a simple ground issue. let us know how it runs after swapping the pickup coil. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Hossbaby50

They are saying it might also be the rotating reluctor which I was not aware of. The disc the pickup coil sits in with the 8 points. I was not aware that could go bad but they say it can crack and seperate out from heat.

Harley