Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TPI idle bump question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Jan 16, 2004.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

For offroading I would like to be able to bump my idle up a little. With my TPI the ECM controls the idle for the most part. Is there anyway to get the computer to bump the idle up? I know Rob (therobzilla) has an system threw his IAC that will bump the idle up. I was thinking though that since I am not using Air Conditioning I could use that wire to make the computer think the AC is on and its idle should go up. Would this work, and if so do I just put a 12v wire on a toggle to the AC wire for the TPI computer?

Thanks
    Harley

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

It sounds ok, just never thought of that. I wonder if there would be any way of making a bracket and adapting the solenoid from a a/c equipped car/truck that pushes the linkage up a bit. My carbed truck has one and the solenoid just uses 12v to hold it. If the way you asked about didn't work out you could try that. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You don't even need 12 volts. The a/c "ON" switch just closes a circuit that grounds the a/c request signal to the ECM. Ground that wire through a switch and you'll be all set. But I don't know how much difference it makes offhand.

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Like Harry said, not sure if it would really bump it up much if at all. Not sure how it increases the idle, since all it seemed to do was bring it back to the standard idle on mine. Hmmm, good question.

Why do you feel the need to bump it up?

5. Hossbaby50

For offroad. That way if I need just a little more RPM to crawl over something I don't have to use the throttle, just kick the switch for a little extra rpm & power. I am going to look into the hand throttle setup Rob has that uses the IAC to bump the idle. It is pretty trick. I got to see it in use again today and it is sweet. Thanks

Harley

6. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    For offroad. That way if I need just a little more RPM to crawl over something I don't have to use the throttle, just kick the switch for a little extra rpm & power. I am going to look into the hand throttle setup Rob has that uses the IAC to bump the idle. It is pretty trick. I got to see it in use again today and it is sweet. Thanks

Harley

[/ QUOTE ]

Hand throttle would be the way to go - don't think you could get the idle up high enough with 'trickery'. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. Hossbaby50

No, but with the AC thing I might get up to 750-800 RPM which would be nice just until I get the money together for the hand throttle setup like Rob has.

8. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Keep us posted - would love to learn how that is done. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

9. Hossbaby50

10. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

The offroadengineering electronic idle controler works much better than a hand throttle. The electronic "Trickery" that this system uses is a well designed system. It controls the idle for both the high idle and the lower idle. I use this on a very frequent basis, and I have had no problems with it.

The problem with a hand throttle on a TPI is there is almost no room for linkage that does not get in the way of the kickdown and the actual foot throttle cable, and you have to spend the extra money with Lokar for the 3 cable plate that attaches to the side of the plenum. The other issuse with at least my old hand throttle setup was that when my blazer is climbing and totally twisted up in the rocks, I could never get the cable for the hand throttle not to bind up. When it get really flexed up, it would have a tendancy to pull back on the hand throttle cable on it's own, thus making for a very dangerous situiation with accelleration when you don't want it crawling in the rocks. This being caused by body to frame flex.

I also us the to run my air compressor for trail repair and for controling the speed and idle gowing down steep trails and switchbacks. Between the doubler and the Idle controler I can litterally creep at a much slower rate than just about anything.

Rob