Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TPI in K5, how do you like it?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JHG, May 9, 2003.

1. JHG

JHG 1/2 ton status

Hi, My K5 has a carburated 350. It has been a good setup so far but not flawless.

A friend of mine is taking a TPI setup of an 1986 Transam and I can get it complete for cheap (ECU, harness etc).

I have read a lot about TPI at www.thirdgen.org and think I can do the swap but I was wondering if anybody with this setup on a chevy truck /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif(have heard from many with it on cars) could express their opinion.

Was it worth it?
    What did you like better with the TPI than the carb.

My main gool is torgue, mpg and have a engine that I can count on everytime (I dont want to be left stranded on one of our glaciers).

Thanks,

Jon H. Gudjonsson

P.s. I will keep my T/A carburated /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

TPI is pretty awesome for torque. My TPI 383 gets about 13.5 MPG on the highway, with a Turbo 400, 4.10 gears, and 35-inch tires. I used to have a stock Blazer with a 350, 700R4, 3.73 gears, and 33 inch tires. It also got about 13.5 MPG on the highway, but wasn't nearly as much fun to drive! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

My only real complaint about TPI is that you have to remove the upper plenum and the intake tubes to get to anything on top of the engine. Need to swap out an injector? Then you first have to take it all apart. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Other than that, it's a blast when I stomp on the loud pedal! /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

3. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

I went from TBI to TPI and it made a huge difference. At that time I was running a mild 350. I can't compare to that carb in that truck but to carb in general. Easy starts, better Mpg, great throttle response..... everything HarryH3 said amd more. I always loved the look off the TPI but it's a pain to get sealed up or work on anything.

Mike

4. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

i'll let ya know as soon as i get mine installed /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. JHG

JHG 1/2 ton status

Thanks a lot /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif The carb is edelbrock 750 (1902 if I remember correctly) and it has been ok (but not great).

My mpg has been around 10, but my truck has 350/TH350, 4.88 and 38" tires. I was considering a Diesel, but perhaps its more practical to use TPI and TH700.

I am glad you like TPI in K5, I think I will head that way to

Thanks,

Jon H. Gudjonsson
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Hands down, compared to a carb, no comparison. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif