Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TPI intank sending unit

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Sep 12, 2004.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Can I take a TBI intank sending unit and bolt in a TPI fuel pump?

Can I bolt a TBI intank sending unit into a gas tank from a carb truck?

Thanks
    Harley

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

First question: Yes

Second question: I would say yes for sure, but I'm too lazy to go check. Same setup, 99% sure they are interchangeable. No reason not to be.

I'm using an AC Delco Cadillac fuel pump in mine.

A little bit of mods necessary to the pump, (how it seats in the sender, the plastic base is a bit different) but without having seen other high pressure FI in-tank pumps, I can't say if all or like that, or depends on the applciation. I couldn't use the rubber silencer on the thing, but it's not loud enough to notice anyways.

I think I still have the part number somewhere if you want to start with something. Could always compare the base of what I have to the base of one for say, a 1988 Camaro TPI pump.

3. Hossbaby50

Why use a Cadillac pump over a stock TPI pump from a camaro? What are the advantages? Thanks

Harley

4. dyeager535

I think this one is some really high pressure, like 75PSI or something.

Only reason I used it was I saw it on ebay dirt cheap (I think $10 brand new) and the friend that has helped me since day one with my TPI (including taking ot off the donor car) said it would work fine for me.

If I could have found a Camaro one for the same price, I would have gone that route. I figure less pressure means longer life/less noise, at least theoretically.

5. Hossbaby50

I am still debating whether to just drop in an intank pump or stay with an external. I bought a cheaper external and I don't think that it is going to last a heck of a long time. If I can get a sending unit for a a TBI Blazer for a decent price and a new TPI intank pump will fit it then might just drop in an intank.

I found a Walbro external pump online though for $135 and I have heard that the Walbro pumps are pretty good stuff. I might go that route too. We will see.

Harley

6. dyeager535

Someone posted a site (gastanks.com?) awhile back that sold senders, I *think* the TBI sender could be had for a bit over $100.

I'm not a big fan of the external pumps, but I think it's more personal preference than anything. Plenty of the externals work fine.

I just got "lucky" and found someone selling a complete TBI tank. Of course the baffles were broken and the sender doesn't work well, but that was back before I knew the stock baffles were a problem.

The TBI sender is really the killer on this setup, just extremely expensive to buy new.

7. Hossbaby50

I am trying to find out the longevity of Walbro pumps, and if the guys over on Thirdgen.org are having good success with life expectency then I will just get a Walbro inline for $120-130 and be done with it for awhile. I think swapping over to an intank pump is going to cost more money then my budget will allow for now. Thanks for the info though. I will keep it in mind. I think the intank route is the better route but I think for now I will have to continue on the external road until I can afford to do it all intank. Thanks

Harley

8. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

I also agree that the TPI pump will directly replace a TBI pump inthe sending unit. I just did this, the pump is exactly the same on the outside, even the wires and plug /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. as far as the tank and sending unit goes, I am stumped as well. When we did this on my buddy's carbed truck, we replaced the tank with a TBI unit because the old one was really bashed up. Besides, It is better to have the baffeled tank. Been waiting on my headers for several weeks now. I just want to get this TPI deal over with so I have my truck back!!!!!