Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TPI MPG Update

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Feb 8, 2004.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I got a chance to do a miles per gallon on my TPI today. I filled my tank yesterday and went for a drive today. 80% highway 20% street.

12.75 MPG /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

It could be better but I laid down the hammer some while on the street and a little on the highway too. It is alot better then the 8-10 mpg I used to get with my carb.

2. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    12.75 MPG /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Dang! I seriously need to go to TPI!! /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

3. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

So now your going to have to save up for the new tires that your leaving behind as you enjoy your new found power..... /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gifLOL /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif..... Sounds great..... Were you into it a lot with that increase or just once in a while like you first stated? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

About how much and long did it take you to finish swap? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif Recommandations are greatly excepted, just not always done /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif.....hehehehehehe /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Sounds about right. What did you do for speedo correction and tire size differences?

I got 14 one tank on the freeway, cruise control set, running 60-65 GPS verified. Usually around town it was 11 with my 406.........and no fear of using the hammer. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

5. Hossbaby50

I was into it more then I needed to be at the beginning. It was partly my excitement with the extra power and partly a tuning problem. I had to readjust my throttle body blades and TPS and I also moved my throttle linkage to a lower post so I would get more throttle control. I was having a problem with off idle and slow speed control which I had to fix. It is fine now.

It ended up taking about 3 months total on the swap, but it didn't have to take that long. There was periods where I didn't touch my truck for 2 weeks. My biggest thing was the lack of knowledge about the system when I jumped into the swap. I was trying to learn on the run and it doesn't work that well.

BurbinOr: My speedo is actually pretty close to stock form. I did use mileposts to see how much my speedo is off and it is only a tenth of a mile off per mile so I used that in my MPG calculations. So yes there is an error factor in my mileage I am sure but it is not that much. One day I will verify on GPS when I get it.

Harley

6. Hossbaby50

P.S. Since the TPI has went in I haven't had any tanks under 10 MPG even in city driving with my foot in it. With my carb I would get 7-8. This motor brand new with good carb and distributor never did anything above 10 mpg except a few times when I drafted off tractor trailers on the highway.

Harley

7. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I was into it more then I needed to be at the beginning. It was partly my excitement with the extra power and partly a tuning problem.
    Harley

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, what a great feeling, huh. You've done quite a job getting that project up and running, should be proud. Not an easy undertaking considering your lack of knowledge at the beginning. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Hossbaby50

I am proud. thank you. I wish I would have known then what I know now. It would have been easy (er). For me the hard part is the wiring. I am (was not) that good with wiring. The mechanical end was no problem at all. I just had to learn what all the wires, sensors, and connectors and what everything does. It was good that it didn't start right away so I had to learn to troubleshoot everything instead of trying to learn on the side of the road somewhere.

Knowledge is key to this swap, I didn't have any so it was alot harder then it really is. I am just glad I had all the help from the people here otherwise it probably still wouldn't be running.

Harley