Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tpi on a 327

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85mudbogger, Mar 17, 2007.

1. 85mudbogger

85mudbogger 1/2 ton status

ok u fuel injection gurus. i have a 327 in my truck and i traded a set of worn out dry rotted hoosier right rears off a sprint car for a tpi injection for the old style intake bolt pattern so it would bolt right up to my 305 head on my 327, the problem is i only got the intake, egr is on it, couple vacuum lines:confused: , the throttle body, the injectors and fuel rail with the pressure regulator, i believe it has the tps too.
    question numba 1 is what do i need as far as computer and sensors to make this a speed density setup and to run on my 11 to 1 compression motor
    question 2 is could i make my own wiring kit and where would i get all the connections to do this lmao, wiring kits are so expensive its rediculous.

my motor is a 67 327 small journal stock bottom end with 601 305 heads, cam is a speed pro 468 480 220 231

lmao but i think this thing will be in over my head haha so if i decide not to run this injection do any of you want it, hahahaha

Last edited: Mar 17, 2007
  2. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You will have to change your cam out, not a chance it'll work with that. You need a cam that is designed with fuel injection in mind, you want a short duration, with a wide lobe separation angle, and lots of lift. The goal is to get a smooth running engine with as little valve overlap as possible. The reason is that the ECM monitors RPM, and goes nuts trying to stabalize a loping engine, and also detects the fresh air let in by valve overlap, which tricks the ECM into thinking the engine is running super lean, making it super rich in an attempt to compensate.

Otherwise, the TPI will be just fine with the comrpession and the heads, just make sure you run high octane fuel so it doesn't pick up a bunch of pinging, and majorly retard your timing.

On a 305, a TPI system will only flow up to around 5000 rpm, you'll get around 4300 out of a 350, so build your enigne to make all its power from idle through 5000 rpm at the max. TPI is designed for torque, you need to design your engine in a similar way.

Wiring is easy, just grab a factory 90 - 92 TPI wiring harness + ECM, and get a new 90 - 92 350 memcal, fuel system you'll need an electric fuel pump to provide at least 45 PSI of un-regulated pressure and finally, you'll need to get your prom dyno tuned, if you run a stock 305 prom, you'll be lean, if you run a stock 350 prom, you'll be rich, best to get it tuned for your specific engine.

Rest of it is fairly straight forward, you can find pretty much everything you need to know about a TPI swap at www.chevthunder.com

3. 85mudbogger

doooohhhh, changing the cam, i dont want to do that i guess i will just sell the thing lol, good thing i got a holley on it cuz when u play in the mud it gets dirt in the floats all the time, i guess ill just keep diggin it out, what do you think this tpi is worth to someone that needs one lol, i also have shorty headers with 02 bung in them to go with it

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You can make it work, but it's going to take a lot of time and effort, doesn't sound like you are willing to do that.

Head over to thirdgen.org, there is a guy over there that IIRC has a pretty hot 327 in a Camaro that is TPI, and he was pretty active on that board, may still be. You could probably PM him. I *think* his username has 327 in it somewhere. You can find posts from him I know on the diy-prom board at thirdgen.

5. 85mudbogger

lmao i want to do it but i might just keep gathering info. i found to do speed density i will need a 91-92 computer out of a corvette without the security system so i dont have to run the map sensor, i wish when i got the intake i woulda gotten more parts, do you know about how much a wiring harness will run me at the junkyard so i dont get raped, i get a gm discount on parts so i could also go that route and get all i need at the dealership too like the comp, where should i go to get a custom chip burned for the 327

6. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Think carefully before getting into this. Getting that motor running good in that tune will take a LOT of data logging/chip burning. LOTS! I doubt anyone can burn you a chip and get it anywhere near perfect without continual logging and burning.
    Fuel injecting a wild motor is time consuming if you do it yourself, expensive if someones doing for you.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you aren't willing to do it yourself, it's going to cost you $$$. You can call around locally and see if any dyno shops are setup to do what you want, ask them.

8. 85mudbogger

well i guess if the chip burning will take alot, i will call and talk to a guy that runs on the show pinks, he owns a shop call www.racepartsdirect.com here in town and see what he says about this, he also has a dyno so maybe i will go take a run on that if my truck will fit in the door hahhahaah, i will most likely forget this idea and stick with my carb and look into a truck avenger one, my truck will go up steep hills, i mean steep like rear bumper on the ground type but its the going down when it starts to stumble around and makes for goin down not to fun which is starting to get to me