Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TPI on a big block?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by GRAYTEXK5, Oct 13, 2005.

1. GRAYTEXK5

GRAYTEXK5 1/2 ton status

I was just looking through the november issue of four wheeler, at the TTC competitors' rigs...and there's a scrambler in there...and it says it has a ZZ502, with chevy TPI? and in the pic, it does look like a factory TPI plenum. does anyone know anything about this? is there a way to adapt TPI to a big block? I've been wondering about this for a while anyway...since there doesn't seem to be any "affordable" way to get MPFI, unless you're running a small block. I was just curious if anyone knows of a way to do this...or if it's really just another expensive aftermarket setup.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Sure it's not the Ramjet 502 intake? Didn't see what you are talking about, but pics of the Ramjet 502 are easy to come by.

Using TPI to run a BBC isn't going to be terribly difficult, BUT it's going to take a lot of piecing together. As designed, TPI isn't even adequate for a 350, let alone a 454.

Probably similar to making any older GM engine design port injected...buy a single plane intake with injector bungs, come up with new fuel rails, use an aftermarket throttle body, TBI BBC distributor, new injectors, make a good chip, and you'd probably be there. Plenum, base and runners of TPI just won't line up with the 454.

All said and done, I'd be surprised if that saved you money over aftermarket MPFI though, even not including your time to piece it together.

Relatively certain I've seen a few injected big blocks mentioned over on thirdgen.org.

3. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

like this ? :doah: our 502 ramjet. :D

4. GRAYTEXK5

GRAYTEXK5 1/2 ton status

no, it didn't look like a ramjet intake, as far as I could tell. for one thing...it had the grooves along the top, like the factory small block TPIs have...and I didn't think the ramjets had that, but I could be wrong. and also, you couldn't see the huge runners coming off the side, like the ramjet has. but...maybe it is a ramjet, and it could just be the angle of the pic makin it look funny or something. anyway, I just wondered if maybe there was a cheap way to adapt it to a big block. obviously, if it was gonna cost a lot just to piece everything together...I'd much rather just go with an edelbrock setup or something like that.

5. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

6. gauder

gauder Banned

That's an older Arizona Speed and Marine intake for the BBC. I don't see it listed on their site anymore though. Kind of a precursor to the intake on the Ramjet 572