Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TPI or newer MPI intake, which is better for torque, reliability?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pfloyd_1, May 8, 2004.

1. pfloyd_1

pfloyd_1 Newbie

I have a 86 tpi that I am wondering whether to keep or sell.

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

TPI is the last of the OBD 1 FI systems. The OBD 2 systems are harder and more involved of an install. TPI make great low end torque and good mid range power. It is quite an improvment over a carb and a fair improvment over TBI from what I understand.

Once you learn all the info dealing with the TPI install it isn't a terribly tough job. I learned the hard way that you need to do your homework first though.

I did my TPI install and it was totally worth it. It was a huge improvement over my Qjet carb. There is alot more torque at the low end and better power throughout the power band. And you get better mileage and easier starting to boot.

Harley

3. Hossbaby50

Oh ya,

The guy I bought my TPI from installed a Vortech into his K5. He said they have roughly the same power except the Vortech will keep pull to 5500 RPM where the TPI was dying out by 4500-4800. I personally don't care because I don't rev that high anyway.

Harley

4. chevy_addict

chevy_addict 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    TPI is the last of the OBD 1 FI systems. The OBD 2 systems are harder and more involved of an install. TPI make great low end torque and good mid range power. It is quite an improvment over a carb and a fair improvment over TBI from what I understand.

Once you learn all the info dealing with the TPI install it isn't a terribly tough job. I learned the hard way that you need to do your homework first though.

I did my TPI install and it was totally worth it. It was a huge improvement over my Qjet carb. There is alot more torque at the low end and better power throughout the power band. And you get better mileage and easier starting to boot.

Harley

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to highjack the post, slightly OT. Harley, have you gone through emissions with your TPI yet? Did they give you any hassle about it?

Thanks

Dave

5. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Oh ya,

The guy I bought my TPI from installed a Vortech into his K5. He said they have roughly the same power except the Vortech will keep pull to 5500 RPM where the TPI was dying out by 4500-4800.

Harley

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats interesting, maybe it was the build on the block then, because i had one in my '88IROC Camaro that would easily pull 6000 while runnin the quarter. Hust have been an add-on, replacement for the carb.
    Throw a roller cam and lifters in that bad boy and run it up.

6. pfloyd_1

pfloyd_1 Newbie

Would love to respond to the awnsers but moms out of town and the boys are a hand full. be back late P.M

7. Hossbaby50

Yep, been threw emissions without problems. The motor passes just fine even without the EGR function working.

The only hassle I got was I didn't rehook up all the lines on my charcoal canister. So they kept failing me for it. I dumbied them up to look like they went somewhere and did something and it passed fine. They don't know what the lines are supposed to be hooked to. they only know they must be hooked to something.

The asked me what year the FI was off of when I told them it was a swap and I told them 85 (same as my truck) so they wouldn't try and make me pass at a different emission standard. My setup is actually off and 88.

4xCrazy: The problem with TPI is partially what you said, I don't have a roller cam. The other is with the TPI design itself. The runners are to long and to narrow to flow enough air to support the motor above 4800 RPM or so depending on how the motor is built.

That is why there are companies that make the large tube runners, and the different manifold setups (miniram, stealth ram, super ram, etc) to flow more air.

Harley