Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TPI problem answered... I'm dumb

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Jan 5, 2004.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

TPI problem answered... I\'m dumb

I have been having a lot of problems with trying to get my TPI system to fire the injectors and I couldn't figure out why. I went threw all the tests and they all didn't find anything to solve my problems. So I went back threw all the wiring and I found my problem and I feel REALLY dumb. I made a retarded mistake and I am kind of embarrased to admit.

I hooked the ECM power wire to a wire that was keyed source, but turns off when the ignition is turned over so every time I tried to start the motor it would cut the power to the ECM. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I solved that problem. Now I have to adjust the timing a little and it should fire. It almost fired last night but it will fire soon.

Please learn from my dumb mistake and think about things like this when you are wiring things in your truck.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: TPI problem answered... I\'m dumb

Aren't you glad you didn't start on this figuring it would only take a month? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I'm not one to talk, mines out there freezing right now, waiting for me to prime it.

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hey thanks for sharing!!
    It seames to always be the basic things that bite us the most. Back to the basics!! hehehee Good one to remember! THanks! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Glad you figured it out.........it's usually the simple things that get ya.

5. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Soon you'll here that baby hum......Step on the gas and it will roar.....

6. Hossbaby50

actually if I almost had it running by my deadline in November. Only this and a few little things stopped me. Lately with the holidays, work, school, etc I haven't had any time to work on it. I literally hadn't touched it in 2 weeks until Sunday night. Sometimes when I did I didn't have the desire because it was pissing me off so bad. But I am going out right now to mess with the timing a little. It *almost* (sounded like it wanted to) started last night and about 20 minutes ago. Hopefully I will have a good update in a little while. We will see.

Harley

7. dyeager535

Good luck, can't wait to hear how it works for you.

8. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

DAMN WIRING, I HATE IT SO........ok theres my rant for the evening........I just redid the wiring on my engine last weekend.

9. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Harley,
    I bought myself a scanner over x-mas, so if you want I could come over and see what the computer thinks is going on. It's great for debugging problems. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Mike

10. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

Harley, did you actually need a new ECM and chip? If not I will buy mine back from you. I have not cashed the MO you sent me.

11. Hossbaby50

No, I still need the ECM. I needed a spare so I am going to keep it around as a spare for the trail.

Mike: Ya man, that would be great. I could really use the scanner to help things out. I am getting alot closer though. I am putting in a new set of plugs regaped tonight and I am going to reset the timing to zero and hopefully it will start.

Harley

12. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">I think I told you to check that in every thread you had /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. Thats the first thing that came to mind when you described your problem, because I did the exact same thing 2 years ago. Good luck with it!

P.S. Base timing is 6* with the brwn/blk wire unplugged, not 0*

13. Hossbaby50

You probably did, but I was convinced that my problem was with my ECM or module, and I really didn't think about the wiring that turns off when you hit the key (radio, etc).

6* BTDC correct? I have been told everything from 0-6* but nobody says BTDC (which I assume it is, but don't want to assume anymore)

14. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Harley,

Ablsoutely, the timing setting is 6 degrees before TDC. I know, I just got the blazer thru emissions. Had a problem with the testing station. They thought the blazer was full time 4wd and did a standing idle test, it failed both times, on the standing idle test, then I convinced them that the computer controlled the timing based on the sensors, including the vss, and they retested it on the dyno, and it passed the first time.

Last year, it passed on the first time, on the dyno test, this year, it actually passed with better setting than last year.

Other pointers:
    Don't run Bosh platumn plugs, use AC Delco stock plugs.
    Make sure you have a VSS, make a huge diffrence no matter what anyone says, major driveablility.
    Plumb the fuel pump on the framerail and not in tank. Wheeling will beat the %hit out of the in tank pump.
    Use MPFI fuel lines with MPFI hose clamps.
    Replace the EST disconnect in the harness with a actual switch, it will save alot of burns on your hands when setting the timing, and it's much eaiser than the disconnect.
    Don't runs MSD if at all possible, it's not worth the money and if &amp;ucks with the TPI, trust me I know.
    Replace the Ignition module and save the old one for trail side, and make sure you use Dielectric Grease when replacing it.
    Buy and carry a spare fuel pump relay for the trail. When this goes bad on the trail, you are walking home, unless you have a spare one, and they go bad at the worst times.
    Make sure you fuse the Master Injector positive feed.
    Carry a spare ECM in the blazer, there cheap on ebay, got one for 40.00 and they are handy when they go bad.
    When tuning up the motor, use the stock settings for the tune up, unless you have a custom chip, it will keep everything standard.
    Idle Air control motors need to be kept clean and in good working order. Make sure yours is clean and adjusted.
    Make sure you have NO VACUME leaks, these things cause real havoc on TPI Motors, once again trust me on this one, been there done that.

Make copies of the book I lent you and espcially the back portion of the book, and have them laminated and keep them in the blazer, they really help while trail side trying to figure out what is wrong.
    Carry a Voltage meter in the blazer for trailside repair, its much eaiser to trouble shoot.

Just my .02 cents, but then again, you can always wheel with me, hell I got all this stuff... HA!!!!

Congradulation on the TPI swap, can't wait to check it out...

Rob

15. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

I started my TPI swap on a Friday afternoon and was driving to work on Monday. I had no time or room for error. It took me about 38 hours to get it all done. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

16. dyeager535

I just can't see that being done. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My luck would never hold out, I've been doing this too long to think otherwise.

I don't think my planning skills are near as high as yours, I'd get started and realize I didn't have an auxiallary fuse panel, and so on, along the same path of "I need this, but don't have it right now".

Did you actually lay everything out beforehand, figure out what you were going to need, then start on it when you knew you were ready?

17. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Dorian,

Believe it or not, when I did my swap, I actually did none of this, but after wheeling the blazer with a TPI motor in it for a while on the trails, I have had one of the things happen above at least one time. I used a custom harness from a company in AR, and did not use the Painless harness. I have however after many years of wheeling the TPI figured out what is going to kill you on the trail in the middle of nowhere. I have been there....., and it sucks.... really ruins your weekend and everyone elses. Ask Harley he's wheeled with me.

I do however carry everything shown above and then some. The TPI motors are the $hit wheeling, lots' of low end toqure, runs upside down, and had a great throttle response to crawling, hell I even have a special TPI/TBI electronic idle control module for controling the Idle Air control motor when crawling, kinda like a throttle cable but it's electronic and works with the computer. It's the bomb. But, I am a fanatic on carring the things that normally break, while I wheel. Especailly the TPI stuff. If you keep it up on the maintance, the motors run forever, but once you slip on this it's going to breakdown on you, the fuel system is the fussiest system I have ever had to deal with on the TPI.

Rob

18. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

3 solid months of planning and parts gathering and check lists. I had it down pat. I knew exactly what I was going to do and when with a specific order in mind. I had gone over wiring diagrams time and time again until I knew what was what just by color. I still needed stuff and my wife was very patient with me and thankfully she was able to get everything I was missing at the local parts store. The missing parts: rubber o-rings for the fuel lines into the fuel rail....and I ran out of electical butt connectors. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

19. dyeager535

Man, that is impressive. All I can say. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif