Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TPI questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ftcjimmy, Apr 12, 2005.

1. ftcjimmy

ftcjimmy Registered Member

I was wondering if anyone has put a TPI (tuned Port Injection) off of an 80's corvette onto a Small BLock in thier truck, and if so what modifications, wireing, fuel lines would be nescessary for this to work. Im already furl injected.

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

there is a tech write up on it in the tech section. There are a few set ups on ebay right now with every thing you will need for like 300

3. Fierospeeder

Fierospeeder Banned

a new harness and computer. Pretty much just find a donor vehicle and swap all the pieces. Plus, you are going to need a fuel pump to keep with the pressure requirments.

People do these swaps in fieros all the time.

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Corvette TPI swaps have a few more quirks then Camaro/Firebird TPI swaps do. I don't remember what the little differences are but they are there. Look into that. They say it is usually a little easier to do TPI from a Firebird/Camaro then a Corvette. It can still be done, but the swap has a few details that are different then the Camaro TPI swaps.

Harley

5. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Only major differences are in the fuel rail and in the EGR hookup.

The Corvette has EGR stuff at the back pass side of the intake, and the fuel rail points towards the driver's side of the engine rather than the passenger's side of the engine.

6. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I got an 88 setup, and an '86 corvette manifold to work with my early style heads... the corvette manifold has an additional egr port towards the back of the manifold on the passanger side.. i had to make a second blockoff plate for this egr. On the corvette manifold there is also a NPT fitting towards the back of the manifold on the passanger side almost near the distribuitor.. you will need to plug that passage.. when i added coolant before starting the engine, it came pouring out of that passage and i realized i forgot to plug it or put a sending unit for a gauge in it.
    Other than that, i converted the 80's Mass Air Flow tpi to Speed Density by getting a 730 computer and MAP sensor off ebay for $50.
    I went with street and performance for the wiring harness and custom eprom.
    I used an inline pump that i mounted in my framerail, and a hi pressure filter after it.. bent all new 3/8" hardline for the feed, and used my old feed line as the return. Also got all new gaskets and installed new o-rings on the injectors. I spent maybe a little over $1200 on my swap, but if you were on a budget it could be done for $800.
    My writeup and all my part numbers from the tpi swap is in the advanced previews tech forum for members only..

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you are already fuel injected (assuming you are TBI?) you CAN use your stock harness and add a few wires. That info is over at thirdgen.org.

It's a toss up with MAF, which is what the Corvette setup will be. MAF's are expensive when/if they fail, and the programming isn't as advanced that controls the system.

The Corvette setups use 58CC aluminum heads, the timing is likely going to be all wrong for an iron headed motor unless you use the heads too.

I had looked at the Corvette stuff myself, the fuel lines coming off the passenger rear of the engine looked like a REAL bear to deal with, the truck has VERY little room back there for extra parts.

Ryan can comment on this, but for emissions legality, if it's a concern, the Corvette intake should allow you to plumb EGR externally from the exhaust.

I believe '86 was the first year for VATS, which pretty much means you'll need another ECM or reprogramming.

Not trying to discourage, you'll just find lots of "little" things you hadn't considered before.

8. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yep.
    Only you won't need a whole new ecm to get rid of the VATS, just a new chip to be burned eliminating the vats system so the engine will start.

9. Fierospeeder

Fierospeeder Banned

10. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Another solution to the VATS system is to make a little chip to fool it.

I made one, then wound up getting a chip made which eliminated VATS, so if anyone wants it, I'll sell it for 10 bucks + shipping :) If it doesn't work, I'll send your 10 bucks back.