Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TPI Questions....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Roshambo, Jan 28, 2004.

1. Roshambo

Roshambo Registered Member

Ok, I came across a great deal on everything I need for a TPI swap. I am getting both Speed Density and MAF setup and the only thing I am not getting is a fuel pump. I'm running a rebuilt 350 4 bolt main, 1.94 heads, and a mild cam. The stock rating according to the books is 300hp/380 ft lbs.

My questions are: Which would be a better system to go with? I am thinking SD strictly because I won't have to deal with the MAF going out on me when I am up in the middle of nowhere and it kinda opens my options up for intake setups. How are you TPI guys running your intakes?

And, what kind of fuel pumps are you running? I was looking at the Holley blue, and a Carter pump in Jeg's.. both are 6-8 psi and like 70GPH, will that be suffcient for my motor? Anyways.. those are my questions. Thanks in advance!

-Joe

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You need 45 PSI to support the TPI setup. I am running an MSD pump in my truck. Sofar so good. It has only been 3 weeks but it is working fine. It is loud though, but cheap. $85 shipped.

I am running a MAF setup on my mild 350. Works well sofar. MAF TPI will run on a bad MAF sensor. It won't run well but it will run.

MAF TPI is alot more motor friendly. It will run fine with alot of different motor combo's. MAP is alot more picky on motor components and you have to have a chip that is set for the cam you are running. More difficult to setup but possibly a better system in the long run.

Harley

3. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

A mechanical fuel pump will not run a TPI set up....You will have to get an electric high pressure pump, and plan on routing a return line too.

Which pump to run? I have no idea which is better, might want to price one from a Firebird or Camaro.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you want a clean and easy install, SD is a better setup to retrofit IMO, but the penalty is it not being so "tolerant" of wild engines. You'd HAVE to have a chip burned. May not even want to attempt SD if your idle is poor. (low LSA cam?)

However, I don't know a WHOLE lot about SD, just that the MAF retrofit into my truck has been kind of a hassle, because the stock air cleaner I have isn't made for the truck, and I want cold air. You can buy hoses and pipe from www.jagsthatrun.com but they are kind of pricey.

You can of course run a K&N pretty easily in the engine bay though. I think with the 90* 4" to 3" elbow from JTR, and a K&N filter, you'd save a lot of time and hassle over SD, as long as cold air isn't a big deal to you I guess.

MAF failure is almost nonexistent. To my knowledge, none of the guys running MAF on trucks in this forum have had failures, and I don't know as I've ever heard of one failing on a car, although it HAS to happen, it's obviously not a poorly designed piece.

5. Roshambo

Thanks for the replies guy, I guess I could have mentioned I'm in a 3rdgen F-body club and owned a TPI Trans Am, so I have some experience with TPI, I do know a few people who's MAF's have failed too. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

But yeah, I knew I had to run a return line and an electric pump. I wanted to retain my 31 gallon tank...

I think a 3" CAI with a splash guard would be the best setup.. but I'm not sure where to put ultimatly put the filter. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

-Joe

6. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    I run this inline one.A/C Delco #EP286,GM part #25117086.You'll find those numbers in the link provided as well.
    Click HERE to see it.
    You place it inline,not in the tank.It puts out 43-45PSI(verified by my fuel preassure gauge).
    click HERE to see that link.

I have a NAPA part number but it comes back as a low preassure "inline" fuel pump.Part #NFPP74028

I run a Purolater inline filter with it.Purolater Part#F33144.It has the metric input and output(16x1.5)
    [​IMG]

7. fly_n_hi_yukon

fly_n_hi_yukon Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    The stock rating according to the books is 300hp/380 ft lbs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your book might be a little optimistic. The L98 on a camaro with single exhaust was rated at 230hp @ 4400 and 330tq @ 3200 Duals upped it to 240 and 345 respectively. The '88 Corvette was 245 horse and 345 lb/ft.

8. Roshambo

[ QUOTE ]
    Your book might be a little optimistic. The L98 on a camaro with single exhaust was rated at 230hp @ 4400 and 330tq @ 3200 Duals upped it to 240 and 345 respectively. The '88 Corvette was 245 horse and 345 lb/ft.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, no.. the motor isn't a TPI motor, its a rebuilt 1970 C/20 motor, with 1.94s and a mild cam. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

-Joe

9. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanks for the replies guy, I guess I could have mentioned I'm in a 3rdgen F-body club and owned a TPI Trans Am, so I have some experience with TPI, I do know a few people who's MAF's have failed too. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

But yeah, I knew I had to run a return line and an electric pump. I wanted to retain my 31 gallon tank...

I think a 3" CAI with a splash guard would be the best setup.. but I'm not sure where to put ultimatly put the filter. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

-Joe

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's what I used as a pump/filter combo with my TPI setup in my K5. That's a Bosch pump originally intended for a Jaguar and the standard IROC filter. Total use of rubber was 2" from pump to filter, then all new hard line to the engine bay to meet up with the factory hoses. Braided stainless line is the return line.

[​IMG]