Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I'm getting a 91 350 TPI setup complete with harness and computer. Besides running a new fuel pump and lines, putting an O2 sensor in my header, connecting all the wires and milling out the 4 center holes in the intake, what's involved here? I know the computer has to be in a dry place and such a place does not exist on my truck so I'm going to get a sealed box to put it in. I know I'm missing a lot of details here, can someone whos done this tell me what I need to do? Can I still use my MSD 6A off road box? TIA</font color=blue>

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Well for starters, yes, you not only need a fuel pump, but get a HIGH pressure one..........let me know if you need the part number, I paid $130 for a Bosch - makes a perfect one for these conversions - I'm running one..........then go into an IROC high pressure fuel filter, and out to new 3/8" steel lines (for supply) and return (5/16" - though the return does not need to be steel lines, I used braided covered rubber high pressure line just to be safe).............Go from the steel supply lines to the flexible rubber IROC lines for only the last foot or so.........they are o-ringed flare fittings. Any good hydraulic fitting store can help you on the mating of the lines and fittings. Anyway, yes, you need to put the computer in a dry spot...........how about behind the glove box door? That's where most end up.............not sure how the harness you have is...........might also want to get a Painless Wiring harness or something comparable so it is a true plug/n/play arrangement...........easy plug-ins that are marked. Next issue is the chip.........if you need a custom one, try one of the following -
    www.tpis.com
    www.jagsthatrun.com

When you get closer, keep asking questions.............there's more I am sure I forgot but keep asking.

Oh, yeah, not sure if you can use the MSD box.............mine has the dedicated TPI/HEI computer controlled distributor that integrates with the chip, sensors, etc. Unfortunately, I know little of the MSD stuff...........so sorry, can't help there.

Anyway, good luck..........its WELL worth it.............IMO. I love my TPI.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.alloffroad.com>www.blazzinor.alloffroad.com</a>

3. Neil

Neil 1/2 ton status

the glove box is a good computer mounting area. yes you can use MSD with TPI. sounds like you have done some homework on the swap.

Neil H.. Alabama.. '78 K5 400ci 4x4 AT,AC,PW Cheyenne. '74 C10 3spd/floor 250ci 4x2

4. Chris Demartini

<font color=blue>The glove box is not a good area because when I took it out of my truck it was full of water [​IMG] from a small crack below the windsheild so I guess I have to fix that. My gas tank is shot so I was thinking of using an 87-91 K5 tank with a Vortec pump in it (like they did on trucks when the put the ramjet motor in that K5), would that provide enough pressure? What would I have to do to use the stock TPI harness? I have some good wiring diagrams for the car this came from. Neil, do you still want to sell that JTR book you were telling me about a while ago? Also, what are some good websites to find info on this?</font color=blue>

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

You probably should check the output of that pump.............not sure. It is recommended that TPI pressure supply is apx. 43 psi. Either way, I prefer to have mine mounted up in the frame rail............easy to get to and not in the tank. If you need a picture of where mine is mounted, I can email it to you. The stock harness will work if you know where all the plugs go..........if you have a wiring diagram or they are labeled like the Painless kit it is a breeze. Other thing to consider with the stock harness is if it is long enough.........assuming you want the computer in the glove box area you need to have enough length on the wiring.

I have the book "TPI fuel injection swappers guide" by John Baechtel, available at amazon.com. Good source of info.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.alloffroad.com>www.blazzinor.alloffroad.com</a>

6. Neil

Neil 1/2 ton status

dang ! glove box of WATER?! Must have gone in DEEP! or rain maybe,hehe.Anyways. I have a MSD wiring diagram book for all MSD applications from my racing days. the msd box will go between the coil connector plugs and the coil.I used a MSD 6A on my LT1s.On page 28 of the MSD wiring and tech book it says how to hook it up on the GM HEI w/ external coil w/TPI. There are 2 jumper wires needed with flat connectors on each end to go between the coil connector and coil. There are 2 wires going out of the distributor in to the connector. The MSD box will connect directly from the connector junper wires to the coil.

Neil H.. Alabama.. '78 K5 400ci 4x4 AT,AC,PW Cheyenne. '74 C10 3spd/floor 250ci 4x2

7. Chris Demartini

<font color=blue>Theres a hairline crack under the windsheild so water seeps in. Where do I get this MSD book from? I just have the instruction sheet that came with it. The tank I may get is from a 91 K5, so would I be able to use those fuel lines on my truck? I have a complete wiring diagram from All Data (computerized repair manual program that dealers use) and I've worked on the car this setup came off of a few times so I know where everything plugs in, I think I'll use the stock harness.</font color=blue>

8. Sledge

Sledge Registered Member

If you use the tank from a TBI truck you can just replace the low pressure in-tank pump with the high pressure pump from an F-body. The external dimensions of the pumps are identical, so it'll mount right in the hanger. Some friends and I did that for a TPI swap into a TBI'ed S-10.