Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TPI............. what blocks does it fit?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by uglychevyZZ4, Apr 20, 2004.

1. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

does TPI fit the older non TBI blocks since it was around in late 84? or was that the beginning of the new blocks? I am not sure if i should buy a complete TPI engine or just the tpi stuff..

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Engines the same.. it's the heads that are different.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

It will fit any small block that doesn't have Vortec heads. You can buy a special manifold base that will make it fit Vortec heads, but the base costs BIG bucks. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif You have to do some machine work on the stock intake to make it fit pre-EFI heads. The angle on the 4 inner bolts is different between carb heads (used up until '86) and EFI heads ('87-'94 (or was it '95?), then the Vortec heads came out.

If you want to run it on a 350, be sure to get a TPI from a 350. The 305's have smaller injectors and a new set of injectors can run ya $200-400. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

4. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you find an 88-92 TPI setup you'll have to have a machine shop modify the 4 middle bolt holes in the manifold.
    I found an '88 tpi setup, and got ahold of an '86 manifold so it will fit my pre '87 heads. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Yep to get TPI to fit pre 87 motors you have to bore out those 4 bolt holes or find a TPI manifold from an 85 or 86 year motor. I bored out the 4 holes to make mine fit. It is a PITA and if I had to do it over I would take it down to the machine shop and have them do it. It shouldn't cost that much.

Harley

6. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Hossbaby50
    How's your running now that you've had it in for a while...

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

It has been running good for the most part. The only problem I have been having is it keeps killing ignition parts. A month ago I toasted a pickup coil, then a week after that a module. Yesterday I toasted something too. Haven't had time to figure it out yet though. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Once the ignition thing is ok it will be great. I am going to rip into it this afternoon.

Harley